Grail Item Acquired - Twentieth Anniversary Mac

KnobsNSwitches

Tinkerer
Nov 2, 2021
Well, I never really thought i'd be able to get one of these. I know there are folks who scoff and say "it's an overpriced PowerBook 3400". But it just looks so cool. And it sounds absolutely terrific. I've wanted one for years, and yesterday I met up with everyone's favorite founding member, ScutBoy, and took it off his hands.

Behold, my TAM: With a working CD-ROM! No buzz! Clean speaker grilles!
IMG_8093.jpg

Excuse the mess. I'm currently working on a new office so this is a temporary home. But i'm just thrilled right now and naturally wanted to show it off.

KnobsNSwitches

Tinkerer
Nov 2, 2021
Things I've learned about the TAM so far:
1) The subwoofer and the main unit both have fans. Makes sense, but in a silent room they are definitely noticeable
2) Sound throughput works even when the system goes to sleep. You can't adjust volume without waking it up. This significantly increases the ability to use the TAM as a stereo with some other device plugged into the mic port.
3) The LCD is truly fixed resolution at 800x600 - which means no fullscreen anything. Somehow I knew it wasn't a multiresolution panel, but I still expected Whitecap or the Apple video player to take over the full screen. I'm not sure why.

thank you for coming to my TED talk

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
@StevieC, as far as I know, the PowerBook 3400 and G3 (Kanga) screens can be used with the TAM. As for screen resolution, both have a native resolution of 800x600. So, I am unsure about finding an LCD screen with a higher native resolution.

François

Tinkerer
Aug 9, 2022
France
and now i'm wondering if there might be an LCD panel of equal size, with compatible mounting screw-holes, of greater pixel-count that could be swapped in, and would be compatible with the motherboard's onboard signal to the stock LCD
Aren’t the motherboard video signals just VGA?

KnobsNSwitches

Tinkerer
Nov 2, 2021
I've been working on a new office, converting a shed. Finally all moved in. Things are bit snug (95 sq feet!) so my full-size stereo and speakers didn't make the move, but the 20th anniversary mac is a great replacement, as it is both stereo AND visualizer in one compact package. (see, i can justify anything...)

i've recently started using G-Force as a visualizer, after previously using WhiteCap for many years. There are still a couple of files that freeze the Mac, but audio keeps playing even if things are hung.

Attachments

• IMG_8118D.jpg
    IMG_8118D.jpg
    467.6 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_8119D.jpg
    IMG_8119D.jpg
    423.3 KB · Views: 85

ClassicHasClass

Tinkerer
Aug 30, 2022
www.floodgap.com
Very nice! I have a similar TAM (G3, CS2 NIC, 9.2.2, repaired buzz-free base). A periodic goal of mine is a "fast booter" (or a really thinned boot floppy) so I can play CDs in it without having to wait for the full MacOS to come up.

KnobsNSwitches

Tinkerer
Nov 2, 2021
Very nice! I have a similar TAM (G3, CS2 NIC, 9.2.2, repaired buzz-free base). A periodic goal of mine is a "fast booter" (or a really thinned boot floppy) so I can play CDs in it without having to wait for the full MacOS to come up.
That's a clever idea. I wonder if an SSD + base TAM system 7 install would do the trick?

Certificate of Excellence

Active Tinkerer
Nov 1, 2021
United Sates
I've been working on a new office, converting a shed. Finally all moved in. Things are bit snug (95 sq feet!) so my full-size stereo and speakers didn't make the move, but the 20th anniversary mac is a great replacement, as it is both stereo AND visualizer in one compact package. (see, i can justify anything...)

i've recently started using G-Force as a visualizer, after previously using WhiteCap for many years. There are still a couple of files that freeze the Mac, but audio keeps playing even if things are hung.
Very cool. How does the turn table work into the TAM? Is the amplifier going to the mic in?