Grid 1 REVIEW — iPhone 2G Wall Art

Certificate of Excellence

Active Tinkerer
Nov 1, 2021
United Sates
My preference too "if and only if" it arrives intact. Knowing how these items get kicked around, it probably wouldn't unless they spend a lot more on packing material to ensure the glass arrives in a pristine condition.
I agree and I think that can be done. Again for $400+ that expectation is not out of line. I agree with you on the benefits for plexi, but we're not talking about a $20-30 piece of commercial wall art, so I think it is fair to expect glass and proper shipping to preserve it.

Really, for that money I could buy actual functional units, install hip floating shelves & LED lighting and display them that way too. There are some really neat examples of that sort of display when DDG or Google searched but you are so right in saying that time is money, so really this would be an option if you were so inclined to do so and have the extra time to deviote to it.

Reactions: retr01 and JDW

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
I agree and I think that can be done. Again for $400+ that expectation is not out of line. I agree with you on the benefits for plexi, but we're not talking about a $20-30 piece of commercial wall art, so I think it is fair to expect glass and proper shipping to preserve it.

Really, for that money I could buy actual functional units, install hip floating shelves & LED lighting and display them that way too. There are some really neat examples of that sort of display when DDG or Google searched but you are so right in saying that time is money, so really this would be an option if you were so inclined to do so and have the extra time to devote to it.
I actually did some EBAY searching. For a scratched up 2G unit which nobody wants, you'll pay about US$80. For a more pristine unit that is also functional, you'll pay US$250. But if I had a functional unit, I'd probably keep it in a case or drawer mostly, whipping it out to show people when opportunity strikes.

For $399, the Grid 1 really should have an LCD that is powered by AC adapter and shows us some icons. Even better would be a programmed routine that would show us Safari, photos and maybe fill the screen with the current date and time too (requiring WIFI). But then wall mounting would be troublesome because you couldn't that that silly AC adapter power cord very easily.

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
Hence, go to IKEA and pick up a black frame that matches just like that and has clearance inside for framing whatever. You are in control when you secure it well and transport it home. ;)

IKEA also sells LED strips, shelving, and stuff for cheap. Get colored LEDs from ADA Fruit or Amazon. If not, find what is ideal at IKEA. Yeah, you can easily have a GREAT display of techy stuff on a budget.

@JDW - new video, "Awesome Tech Display on a Budget!" :sneaky:

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
And I would LOVE to see @JDW include video snippets of himself strolling in IKEA and browsing this and that frames, LEDs, shelving, etc., for a budget display project. That would be a hoot and fun! :D

I need to get a few IKEA Lack tables for my 3D printer, IW II printer, etc. My space is limited. LOL! 😂 🤪

• Haha
Reactions: JDW