Hello from Minneapolis (also)

New Tinkerer
Feb 15, 2024
Hello! I go by vivi and I'm an avid computer fan, especially of late '90s to mid '00s Apple. I've been a semi-active collector since last year (and far less active since 2020, when I got an iPod Mini second generation from my mom) and at the moment have a heavy gravitation towards PowerPC/early Intel, with some iPod stuffs for good measure.

Aside from Applestuffs, I'm also a massive fan of 2nd-generation console gaming, and have the beginnings of a hardware collection in that field as well (currently an Atari VCS/2600 and a Fairchild VES "Channel F", first model). I also have a fascination with mid '00s "Wintel" stuffs, and at some point plan on getting a WinXP or WinVista machine for some lightweight work.

Admittedly I'm not very tech-savvy, but I've been slowly learning and plan on getting an at least adequate knowledge when it comes to repair/mod-work, but either way I apologise if I get stuff wrong or show an absurd level of lack of knowledge on the subject of repair.

Outside of the main topics of this forum, I am an independent multimedia artist, mainly working in the fields of music and graphic design, with a heavy leaning in netart and sample culture. As well, while I am currently living in Minneapolis, I was born in Philadelphia and spent most of my life around the Philly tri-state area, and the Twin Cities have only since the beginning of last year been the place I can call home. I hope to have fun and informative discussions with the rest of y'all during my times on these forums! :)

phunguss

Tinkerer
Dec 24, 2023
Stillwater, MN
Welcome!

Here are three places to check out in the Twin Cities (the are lots more than three, but this is a good starting point):

Free Geek Minneapolis
I go every week, and usually find something to take home, whether a discount project computer or something from the free shelf.

Ax-Man Surplus
Get all your art supplies, electronics gadgets, and wacky, crazy stuff. Three locations, but the St. Paul shop on University Ave is the best (the hand made signs are hilarious).

Leonardo's Basement
For your bigger than life projects, they have power tools and lots of crafting capabilities. It's not the only cooperative tool shop in the metro, but a good start.

MacEffects

Administrator
Sep 3, 2021
Hello and Welcome! I know there are quite a few Apple collectors in MN and I am friends with a few. If you have time to attend VCFMW this September in Chicago suburb it would be a great place to meet new folks and also see all the amazing exhbits.

Trash80toG4

Active Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
Admittedly I'm not very tech-savvy, but I've been slowly learning and plan on getting an at least adequate knowledge when it comes to repair/mod-work, but either way I apologise if I get stuff wrong or show an absurd level of lack of knowledge on the subject of repair.
Welcome, sounds like this is the place for you! You're lucky to have so many locals in MN. What is it, the winters up there that drive you folks to this brand of craziness?

I wish there were more tinkerers in NC, count's now three others that I know of.

New Tinkerer
Feb 15, 2024
Welcome!

Here are three places to check out in the Twin Cities (the are lots more than three, but this is a good starting point):

Free Geek Minneapolis
I go every week, and usually find something to take home, whether a discount project computer or something from the free shelf.

Ax-Man Surplus
Get all your art supplies, electronics gadgets, and wacky, crazy stuff. Three locations, but the St. Paul shop on University Ave is the best (the hand made signs are hilarious).

Leonardo's Basement
For your bigger than life projects, they have power tools and lots of crafting capabilities. It's not the only cooperative tool shop in the metro, but a good start.
Luckily enough, I've been to Free Geek a few times before, it's probably my favorite store in the entire twin cities. As well, I've been to Ax-Man Surplus once and I keep kicking myself for not going there again to check if they have anything I need. I didn't know about Leonardo's Basement though I'll definitely have to keep that place in mind!

Reactions: phunguss

New Tinkerer
Feb 15, 2024
Welcome, sounds like this is the place for you! You're lucky to have so many locals in MN. What is it, the winters up there that drive you folks to this brand of craziness?

I wish there were more tinkerers in NC, count's now three others that I know of.
Oddly enough, I wasn't very familiar with the weather or the tech collecting scene when I moved up here, it was actually just because I had friends and my partner living up here and I wanted to live somewhere with people I was chill with. I think I only ended up discovering Free Geek around a month into living here, which was a very warm and nicely-received surprise.

Reactions: SteveHere

ScutBoy

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Northfield, MN USA
Welcome. I'm in Northfield, and hang around Free Geek like a lot of others here.

I have basement full of old Macs, Suns, and SGIs. If you need pieces/parts, shout out here.

Reactions: 6507