Help installing software in Lisa Office System 3

wottle

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
Fort Mill, SC
Trying to load up my Lisa with some software now that I have a working display, one working memory board, a Cameo/Aphid HD emulator, and a FloppyEmu. I created a blank image in Cameo/Aphid Selector, installed LOS 3 from floppy images on the FloppyEmu. I can boot from it and the image, and load a LisaWrite, LisaCalc, etc image from the floppyEmu. I can copy the LisaWrite Stationary from the floppy disk to the hard drive, but cannot copy the program itself. I suppose it has something to do with Lisa's copyright protection system that tied software to its unique serial number? I believe the error message I get references the inability to copy because it is a master copy.

Anyway, is there any tutorial or set of instructions for this? I'd rather not have to leave the floppy cable hanging out the back of the machine to run various bits of software. If I can get all software on the various HD images on my Cameo, it will be much more convenient. Thanks for any guidance.

Using a Lisa is a lot like trying to learn Spanish after years of studying French - it feels familiar, but there are so many differences it's almost harder to use than if I hadn't ever used a Mac.

wottle

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
Fort Mill, SC
Anyone have any tips on how to get a complete install, with applications, on my internal hard drive? I was able to finally get my keyboard fully working, and would not like to get a good setup of LOS 3.1 and MacWorks XL on it with a variety of apps. Thanks!

BTW, this is the error I receive (replicated in LisaEm while trying to build a HD image more easily on the emulator and then trying to transfer to the Cameo/Aphid:
1693099272486.png

Last edited:

ried

New Tinkerer
Jan 23, 2022
This is a good question, and I hope someone has the answer.

My experience with installing Lisa 7/7 apps is limited, unfortunately. What I did, however, was use BLU to make copies of original (virgin master) Lisa Office System 3.1 floppies, including Office System and all 7 apps. Then I used the copies to install LOS 3.1 on the machine from scratch. During the process, the LOS installer will prompt you for the application disks. I do not know how to initiate an app install outside of this full install process, and am hoping someone else can chime in here.

Reactions: wottle

wottle

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
Fort Mill, SC
This is a good question, and I hope someone has the answer.

My experience with installing Lisa 7/7 apps is limited, unfortunately. What I did, however, was use BLU to make copies of original (virgin master) Lisa Office System 3.1 floppies, including Office System and all 7 apps. Then I used the copies to install LOS 3.1 on the machine from scratch. During the process, the LOS installer will prompt you for the application disks. I do not know how to initiate an app install outside of this full install process, and am hoping someone else can chime in here.
Interesting. I only have the floppy emu plugged into the Lisa at the moment. When I use their 3.1 disks it doesn't prompt me for the app disks. Any idea which LOS3.1 disks you used with that process?

I was able to get LisaWrite to "install" but copying the app and stationary from the 2 LisaWrite floppies found here: http://www.macmothership.com/lisacontent/app_lisa.html

I actually also tried the LisaWrite floppies that came bundled on the BMOW card that I got with the FloppyEMU and it worked. So there seems to be something different with the floppies for LisaWrite and the other applications.

ScutBoy

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Northfield, MN USA
I know the process is you highlight the app and stationary on the install disk and make a "duplicate" from the menu, and then drag the copies to the hard drive. That's when the master floppy gets serialized to the specific Lisa.

If you are just trying to drag the apps straight from the diskette to the HD, I can imagine this is what would happen...

Hope that helps, and my recollection is still good!

• Love
Reactions: ried and wottle

wottle

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
Fort Mill, SC
I know the process is you highlight the app and stationary on the install disk and make a "duplicate" from the menu, and then drag the copies to the hard drive. That's when the master floppy gets serialized to the specific Lisa.

If you are just trying to drag the apps straight from the diskette to the HD, I can imagine this is what would happen...

Hope that helps, and my recollection is still good!

^^^ This is the solution! ^^^

Ah, that is the trick! I had no idea you couldn't just "copy" (which I believe in LOS is actually a move) an app off the floppy. So you are correct, the proper way to install an app from a floppy disk (real or emulated) is to select the application, press Command-D (or select Duplicate from the File menu). You will be greeted with a blinking "duplicate" of the original, which you can drag to your hard drive of choice. At that time, it will ask you if you want to serialize the copy of the software. That means that floppy can only then be used for running / installing on the Lisa with your serial number. Early piracy prevention at its finest!

Thank you so much for that awesome suggestion! I now have the entire suite of Lisa software on my hard drive and can remove the ridiculously long floppy cable running out the back of the Lisa!