Hi there!

franklint

New Tinkerer
Jul 28, 2022
North Carolina, USA
Hello folks!
I was pointed to this site by @mmu_man the other day and figured I'd join.

Aside from a year or two where I had a macbook as my main PC around 2004, I've always been a DOS & Windows (now Linux) user. I do however have a PowerMac 7600/120 that I picked up at an estate sale a few months ago, and after finally connecting it to a retronas server I've now backed everything up and am ready to start playing with it in earnest. The hard drive is mostly full so I may format it and do a fresh install of 8.6, or else I'll just remove the previous owner's personal files and go from there.

I would like to replace the internal hard disk with something new and faster, I've really liked the CF card solution for my Amiga and XT clone, but it seems like the Mac world prefers SD storage with the BlueSCSI?

Aside from that computer, I do have some model of a blue iMac, and a Mac IIcx that is in really bad shape and may not even work. They're both in storage for the time being.

Eric's Edge

Tinkerer
Oct 31, 2021
I once had a SCSI2CD and have switched to using exclusively BlueSCSI. The kit price is reasonable and they are dead simple to setup and configure - especially since the latest firmware supports USB.

franklint

New Tinkerer
Jul 28, 2022
North Carolina, USA
Thanks for the advice, I'm wondering how the lifespan compares to other media (hard drives, SSDs, CF cards) but I suppose if I keep regular updates and utilize network storage most of the time then it shouldn't be much of a problem

Eric's Edge

Tinkerer
Oct 31, 2021
Thanks for the advice, I'm wondering how the lifespan compares to other media (hard drives, SSDs, CF cards) but I suppose if I keep regular updates and utilize network storage most of the time then it shouldn't be much of a problem
Right. SD cards are going to eventually fail from the activity. I'm not sure how long and what the failure behavior would be like.