[High Score Challenge 01] Get the highest score for 1-3 of these games

3lectr1c

Active Tinkerer
May 15, 2022
the United States
www.macdat.net
In other news, I just tried launching it on my 3400c (Mac OS 8.5) and the results were hilarious but expected.
128E229F-DB2C-48F0-8689-821C616BEA1E.jpeg

Interestingly enough it passed that initial error, then threw a type 1 when I tried to start a game.

Mu0n

Active Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2021
Quebec
www.youtube.com
In other news, I just tried launching it on my 3400c (Mac OS 8.5) and the results were hilarious but expected.
View attachment 10314
Interestingly enough it passed that initial error, then threw a type 1 when I tried to start a game.
It's a game that needs the Sound Driver and will likely crash when it can't access it. You really need to go old here. Emulation will make this painless in mini-vMac

3lectr1c

Active Tinkerer
May 15, 2022
the United States
www.macdat.net
Looks like emulation is the only way this time, which kind of stinks as the whole reason I enjoy these old games is because they're running on period hardware. I got my 170 booting 6.0.8 but the game just locks up the system when trying to launch.

Mu0n

Active Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2021
Quebec
www.youtube.com
Ah, ok. I’ll look into that.
Unfortunately, the project uses a Pi Zero (doesn't need to be a W, or a 2). I think you can sub it for a pi3a, which has slowly become available at the end of 2022, especially in Europe. Use https://rpilocator.com/ to attempt to source one.

To make the RGBTOHDMI more useful, I also got a cheap 30 fps 1080 HDMI capture stick found on amazon, this is how I create my live stream using my real hardware over at www.youtube.com/@1BitFeverDreams. I also got a HDMI splitter box, so I can see the image in real time with virtually no lag on a separate LCD monitor and give my Mac Plus' CRT a break by turning its brightness all the way down.

3lectr1c

Active Tinkerer
May 15, 2022
the United States
www.macdat.net
Finally, Mac-Man. Got it running under vMac, and I have to say it isn't much fun. I normally quite enjoy pac-man style games, but in this one, the enemies are always way faster than you, and they nearly always directly chase you, which makes it extremely infuriating and difficult to play. It also runs much faster than Pac Man, which adds to the difficulty. This is all on the average difficulty by the way (default settings). Even in the lowest difficulty, the enemies are still faster than you, which normally only happens in later levels in Pac Man. Also, for whatever reason in the lowest difficulty mode, the power pellet equivalents don't work, which actually makes it more difficult than Average, so I played on average. The fact that they spawn in the corners instead of the middle doesn't help either. 5150 (funny score considering that the enemies in the game are PCs)
Mac-Man.png

Crutch

Tinkerer
Jul 10, 2022
Chicago
I had that game when it was new as a kid, and vaguely remember it being bundled with a joystick adapter of some kind - I think it may have been a throwaway game as part of a way to sell Mac joysticks? Anyway that may be wrong but I didn’t like it when I was 9 either. I don’t think a lot of love went into making it. Not surprised it hasn’t aged well. My apologies if the author reads this.

eric

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 2, 2021
MN
scsi.blue
Even though there's a few days left this will be my 3rd and final submission as I'm done with this game!
84AAD9AC-B69D-40DE-97CA-BC163939501D.jpeg

Reactions: 3lectr1c