Hot Air Nozzles

badferday

Tinkerer
Jan 26, 2024
Hey y'all!

I'm about to buy my first hot air nozzle(s). I wanted to get recommendations on what nozzles you like, why you like them, and in what conditions they are useful.

I can see myself using hot air to do anything from removing/installing small SMD components to reballing large-ish chips like Sony's PS3 RSX, so I might want to buy multiple nozzles, but I don't have the experience to pick the optimal ones.

LMK!

Thanks

- Katrina

badferday

Tinkerer
Jan 26, 2024
I know I need the kind that turns into a really thin tube, because I've seen that one in rework videos.

badferday

Tinkerer
Jan 26, 2024
But for removing/reinstalling large chips (Like Sony's RSX) I feel that one won't work.

badferday

Tinkerer
Jan 26, 2024
If I'm going to swap out a 42.8mm x 42.8mm BGA chip, should I go with a 45mm x 45mm hot air nozzle or should I get a larger one to give more room for airflow?

For context, it's a Sony RSX on a CECHA01 mobo. In the attached photo it is the chip to the left of the Cell/BE. There are a bunch of tiny components close to the chip, so I'm thinking a snugger fit would be best to minimize the chance of collateral heat damage. But also, I'm concerned that too snug a fit will impede airflow to under the chip where that heat is needed.

Regardless of nozzle size, I was thinking of covering the IHS and surrounding small compenents with multiple layers of kapton tape to minimize their heat exposure.

Oh, and I was thinking of using my 3D printer bed to provide heat from below. It maxes out at 100c.

LMK your thoughts.

Attachments

• IMG_1847.jpeg
    IMG_1847.jpeg
    592.3 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

badferday

Tinkerer
Jan 26, 2024
Is this for a hot air rework station? If so, which model do you have?

Edit: Here is a link to the series that goes to my station. Ofc I'm not gonna pay Hakko USA prices for this stuff. Haha. But this is what's officially made for my station. LMK, if you have recs from here. https://hakkousa.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=n51

So the FR-801 was defective. I found - for less money - a brand new 810b. It's coming from Japan and rated for 100v officially, but I discovered they use a full range transformer inside, so the difference between an American model and a Japanese model is the compliance sticker. Hahahaha.

I like that the 810b can do profiles, as I'm going to be restoring gaming consoles, and early PS3s were shipped with a defective GPU. I have the thermal curves of the motherboards, so I'll be able to do this without damaging the chip or board. FR-801 woulda been manual.

So far, I have a 45x45 nozzle (I looked online and it looks like this is a perfect size for reworking a 42.8mm x 42.8mm chip.

I also got a Hakko A1130 nozzle for manual work. It's a narrow, straight nozzle with an outlet diameter of 4.4mm.

I think it's a good starter nozzle. but I'm open to other suggestions.

Thanks!

Last edited: