How do I put Mac OS8 on an SE/30 using BlueScsi

jajan547

Active Tinkerer
Mar 25, 2022
North Carolina, USA
I’ve tried and failed through basilk (butchered it I know) and can't seem to boot off 7.1 I did it in basil but after moving all appropriate files and naming the .hda properly to put in the SCSI2SD it just won't boot. Mind you this is 7.1 not even to installing MAC OS 8 yet. It's worth noting I used the remade 7.5.5 and a blank .hda with the legacy CD and followed that tutorial on YouTube. What I did was with my blank copy while in 7.5 I installed 7.1 to the blank HD because I'm already in 7.5 this way when I reboot all of the necessary files I wanted and needed should've been there and they were but booting from my SE/30 I just get an ominous "?", so I'm lost.

Last edited:

Elemenoh

Active Tinkerer
Oct 18, 2021
Bay Area
The body of your post is pretty confusing to me but the bottom line is that SE/30 only supports up to System 7.5.5. Perhaps there are hacks to get 7.6 working (it needs 32 but clean) but I can’t imagine 8 would run on one since it requires an 040 or better.

jajan547

Active Tinkerer
Mar 25, 2022
North Carolina, USA
The body of your post is pretty confusing to me but the bottom line is that SE/30 only supports up to System 7.5.5. Perhaps there are hacks to get 7.6 working (it needs 32 but clean) but I can’t imagine 8 would run on one since it requires an 040 or better.
You can use a iisi rom in place and using an enabler hack os8 on it, sorry for the confusion I’ll try and explain what is happening better.

jajan547

Active Tinkerer
Mar 25, 2022
North Carolina, USA
So here is what I did, please correct me on where I messed things up. I followed this tutorial originally to learn how to use the BlueSCSI, which was recommended on the GitHub. As in the video I download the Apple Recovery CD, The 7.5.5 image, and a blank image on the BlueSCSI GitHub page. When it starts he chooses system 7.5.5 and I decided since the OS 8 hack needs system 7.1 or system 7 I decided to choose system 7.1. Everything installs fine, I download the correct applications and enablers per the above link that @Paolo B linked and I go back and boot in Basilisk using this newly made image only and it boots fine, everything seems to be okay. So I figure last step before installing the SD card into the SE/30 is to follow the BlueSCSI GitHub instructions to properly name the new .hda file we have made so that the Mac can read it and I do this and make sure it works once more in Basilisk, it does. Then when I put the SD card in my SE/30 and boot it loads into the question mark, clearly it cannot boot the image or it cannot recognize an image. And before you ask yes I did a full format on the SD card not a quick format. I also made sure I closely followed instructions, where did I go wrong?

Paolo B

Tinkerer
Nov 27, 2021
Nagoya, Japan
This seems to me a problem with the BlueSCSI setup, not with the installation of MacOS 8.
I’d suggest to operate the set up on actual hardware, rather than an emulator. SCSI termination set up may be the reason why the SD is not recognized.

jajan547

Active Tinkerer
Mar 25, 2022
North Carolina, USA
This seems to me a problem with the BlueSCSI setup, not with the installation of MacOS 8.
I’d suggest to operate the set up on actual hardware, rather than an emulator. SCSI termination set up may be the reason why the SD is not recognized.
I've verified it's terminated properly, I guess I'll keep tinkering with it until something hopefully works.

Paolo B

Tinkerer
Nov 27, 2021
Nagoya, Japan
The linked procedure for installing Mac OS 8 on 030 Macs just works, provided that the hardware is ready.
I used it for installing OS 8.1 on a Mac SE/30 and a Performa 275 and I can confirm they both operate fine.
However, they also both run on SCSI2SD.
I only have one BlueSCSI unit installed in a Mac Portable and I remember having some issues with the naming of the .hda files, as I could not successfully create the equivalent of multiple SCSI disks with different IDs. Eventually I gave up and lived with on one virtual device only, as in any case 2 Gb for the Portable are already in large excess of any practical need.
To be noted that whereas I could never find a stable configuration for the Portable with the SCSI2SD (it would invariably crash after waking up from sleep mode), the BlueSCSI device works faultlessly.

jajan547

Active Tinkerer
Mar 25, 2022
North Carolina, USA
The linked procedure for installing Mac OS 8 on 030 Macs just works, provided that the hardware is ready.
I used it for installing OS 8.1 on a Mac SE/30 and a Performa 275 and I can confirm they both operate fine.
However, they also both run on SCSI2SD.
I only have one BlueSCSI unit installed in a Mac Portable and I remember having some issues with the naming of the .hda files, as I could not successfully create the equivalent of multiple SCSI disks with different IDs. Eventually I gave up and lived with on one virtual device only, as in any case 2 Gb for the Portable are already in large excess of any practical need.
To be noted that whereas I could never find a stable configuration for the Portable with the SCSI2SD (it would invariably crash after waking up from sleep mode), the BlueSCSI device works faultlessly.
AH so I should go SCSI2SD for this operation?

Paolo B

Tinkerer
Nov 27, 2021
Nagoya, Japan
AH so I should go SCSI2SD for this operation?
Not necessarily, I’m sure there’s still hope to get it working with BlueSCSI. The hack about the Mac OS version has nothing to do with the actual hardware. First, get Blue SCSI working on your Mac, then you will run the procedure.

jajan547

Active Tinkerer
Mar 25, 2022
North Carolina, USA
Not necessarily, I’m sure there’s still hope to get it working with BlueSCSI. The hack about the Mac OS version has nothing to do with the actual hardware. First, get Blue SCSI working on your Mac, then you will run the procedure.
Alright I’ll give this another try

billbucks

New Tinkerer
Oct 23, 2023
Hi
I downloaded the image from Mega (HD10_512 Mac... 81.hda), copied it to my SD card, and renamed it hd2.hda
I'm getting a 000000F 000000C error on the screen and the logs mention This drive contains the LIDO driver and may cause issues. Is it the reason why I'm getting this error
I found that DiscJockey can be used to swap out the drivers but it doesn't seem to be possible with Windows. Is there a separate image I can use that would work?

I have a Mac SE with a blank HD and there are 2 things I'd like to do:
- First boot wit the 8.1 image from the SD
- Then install this image on the internal HD so I can boot from it instead of the SD (I only want to use like an external drive)

pfuentes69

Active Tinkerer
Oct 27, 2021
Switzerland
Hi
I downloaded the image from Mega (HD10_512 Mac... 81.hda), copied it to my SD card, and renamed it hd2.hda
I'm getting a 000000F 000000C error on the screen and the logs mention This drive contains the LIDO driver and may cause issues. Is it the reason why I'm getting this error
I found that DiscJockey can be used to swap out the drivers but it doesn't seem to be possible with Windows. Is there a separate image I can use that would work?

I have a Mac SE with a blank HD and there are 2 things I'd like to do:
- First boot wit the 8.1 image from the SD
- Then install this image on the internal HD so I can boot from it instead of the SD (I only want to use like an external drive)
Is it SE or SE/30 ?
I will not work on the SE...