How to: Build an External Power Supply for Atari 520ST (Using Parts from Amazon US)

Hurry

Tinkerer
Oct 28, 2021
This article will detail the steps for building an external power supply for an early model Atari 520ST. There are ways to improve this build with better connectors, and I plan to design and print a 3D printed case for the final product in a future revision. Cases for Amiga power supplies that use similar builds are available on Thingiverse - but unlike the Amiga, the Atari ST doesn't require a power switch on the PSU. I plan to omit the switch on my 3D print design.

IMG_6030.JPG

Materials Required
Tools Required
  • Multimeter
  • Soldering Iron, Solder, and Flux
  • Cable Strippers
  • Heat Shink Tubing or some hot glue
Build

Step One

IMG_6031.JPG

Cut the female end from your C13/C14 cable. Expose the three wires and tin (better than I did, ideally).

Step Two

IMG_6032.JPG

Attach your wires as follows (left to right):
  1. Black to L (Live)
  2. White to N (Neutral)
  3. Green to Symbol (Ground)
Step Three

IMG_6033.JPG

Plug the power supply in and verify your voltages.
  • +5V should be +5V
  • +V2 should be +12V
  • V3 should be -12V
Step Five

IMG_6034.JPG

Cut the four conductor cable to length (I cut it to be as long as the C13/C14 side). Cut and strip both ends, the conductor wires, and tin.

For the purposes of this tutorial we will assign the colors as follows:
  • Yellow is +5V
  • Red is +12V
  • White is -12V
  • Black is COM
Step Six

Untitled-1.jpg

Consult the diagram above When you start to solder wires to the DIN connector, remember that the diagram is oriented as though you are facing the back of the computer, not the front of the DIN connector. Remember to add your heat shrink tubing before you begin to solder.

Step Seven

IMG_6035.JPG

Bridge the two +5VDC pins with the yellow wire and solder into place.

Step Eight

IMG_6036.JPG

Bridge the two Ground pins with the black wire and solder into place

Step Nine

Solder Red to +12VDC

Step Ten

Solder White to -12VDC

Step Eleven

IMG_6063.JPG

Attach the other end of the cable's conductors to the Power Supply as follows (Left to Right):
  • V3 = White (-12V)
  • +V2 = Red (+12V)
  • +COM = Black (Ground)
  • +5V = Yellow (+5V)

Step Twelve

Plug in your power supply and test voltage at the DIN connector to ensure you have continuity and the correct voltage on each pin.

Step Thirteen

Heat your heat shrink or coat the back of your DIN connector in hot glue if you're a savage :) (I suppose a savage wouldn't bother with either... if you are a gentle savage use hot glue)

Step Fourteen

IMG_6038.JPG

Assemble the DIN connector

Step Fifteen

IMG_6039.JPG

Test!

• Wow
Reactions: Kai Robinson

Kai Robinson

TinkerDifferent Board President 2023
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Worthing, UK
Gotta say, i really love the RT-65B - i made a bench supply for testing SE & SE30 logic boards, using one of those. Still keep meaning to get another one to shove into the original Amiga power brick.

Hurry

Tinkerer
Oct 28, 2021
Gotta say, i really love the RT-65B - i made a bench supply for testing SE & SE30 logic boards, using one of those. Still keep meaning to get another one to shove into the original Amiga power brick.
They really are robust and versatile. I know there are some Cisco switch power supplies out there that offer the same features but sometimes being able to hit Amazon and just say "add to cart" is worth the trouble.

Reactions: KingDingus