I resurrected an old Hotline client

Knezzen

Tinkerer
Oct 13, 2021
8
33
13
Sweden
system7today.com
Hi!

Hotline is one of those wonderful pieces of technology that I have very close to my heart.
A few months ago I started digging into some source code of an old and forgotten Hotline client made named HotStuff! and tried to get it up and running, mostly for the sake of having something else on 68k than the official Hotline 1.2.3 client. Said and done, after what feels like a gazillion hours trying to solve the big bugs it's time for a release.

It's the only Hotline client I know of for 68k with support for Hotline 1.8.x features and one of only two (the other being Pitbull Pro) for Classic Mac OS capable of connecting to multiple servers at once.

Check it out at http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/hotstuff and join us at hotline.system7today.com for some good old Hotline action :)
Both FAT and Carbon builds are avaliable. Tested on System 7.1 on 68k, Mac OS 9.2.2 and Mac OS X 10.4.11, but should work on anything from System 7.1 up until Snow Leopard (under Rosetta).
 

Byte Knight

Tinkerer
Oct 21, 2021
146
129
43
So, bumping this thread a bit. I'm quite a few releases in I've finally reached feature parity between the three targets (68k, PowerPC PEF and Carbon). It's rock solid on all three targets.

Do give it a go. It's a good client :)
Sweet! It's been a while since I got on a Hotline server - will check it out.
 

AncientBBSGuy

New Tinkerer
Mar 12, 2024
1
0
1
After being absent from the Hotline Community for many years — I was active from around 1997 and forward, even running my 68k and PPC HL server under VirtualBox, Sheepshaver and Qemu at different times — I finally set up both the GUI version of the HL client and the HL server on my Golden Gate machine about 7.5 hours ago, just for the heck of it. I believe the HL client is written in Swift and SwiftUI or something like that. I am not sure.



So far, there has been zero traffic on my new HL server, even though my server is listed on at least one tracker. Ha! No surprise there! I am not expecting too much from outdated, niche technology.



Anyway, a post I was reading on another website claims that there is an iOS version of the HL client, yet I see no listing for it in the Mac App Store on my iPhone.



Also, on the developer’s Github page, it appears that the iOS version of the HL client may be a FUTURE project, and is not yet available. Or am I missing something?



Lastly, while the HL banner, files section, news area and chat window all appear to work fine with the HL client under Golden Gate, the message board has an issue.



While I can post messages on the board, they are not displaying in regular alphanumeric characters. It is all just basically groups of numbers.



I was told by one chatbot that this is the raw ascii code, and that the reason that this is happening is because the developer of the HL client has not yet fully connected the code for the message board.



Can anyone here confirm whether or not this is true? Thanks!