IIfx ADB power problem

Macsimus

New Tinkerer
Oct 31, 2021
Hi, folks!

I'm having a problem with a IIfx. It's unable to start from ADB power. I recapped it and replaced the PRAM and startup circuit batteries. I've tried:

• Both ADB ports. No power, but typing on the keyboard works fine.
• Different keyboards. Those same keyboards work fine to power-on my other ADB Macs.

Power-on from the switch on the back of the machine works fine, and general operation of the machine is perfect.

My electronics knowledge is rudimentary, but I reviewed the schematic for the IIfx's power circuit and did a bit of checking with a multimeter. There is no continuity between the ADB ports and R4. Should there be? Or does UB16 interfere with that? There is continuity from R4 to elsewhere, like R23, C27 and UJ18, and R4 registers a correct 100 ohms.

I don't see any obvious trace breaks, though I only have a magnifying glass, not a microscope. Overall the board is pretty clean with no obvious cap corrosion.

Any ideas of what else I can look for?

Attachments

• IIfx_ADB_Front.jpg
    IIfx_ADB_Front.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 45
  • IIfx_ADB_Back.jpg
    IIfx_ADB_Back.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 49

Macsimus

New Tinkerer
Oct 31, 2021
The keyboard isn't the issue. The power button works fine when I use it with my other Macs.

Kai Robinson

TinkerDifferent Board President 2023
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Worthing, UK
Hi, folks!

I'm having a problem with a IIfx. It's unable to start from ADB power. I recapped it and replaced the PRAM and startup circuit batteries. I've tried:

• Both ADB ports. No power, but typing on the keyboard works fine.
• Different keyboards. Those same keyboards work fine to power-on my other ADB Macs.

Power-on from the switch on the back of the machine works fine, and general operation of the machine is perfect.

My electronics knowledge is rudimentary, but I reviewed the schematic for the IIfx's power circuit and did a bit of checking with a multimeter. There is no continuity between the ADB ports and R4. Should there be? Or does UB16 interfere with that? There is continuity from R4 to elsewhere, like R23, C27 and UJ18, and R4 registers a correct 100 ohms.

I don't see any obvious trace breaks, though I only have a magnifying glass, not a microscope. Overall the board is pretty clean with no obvious cap corrosion.

Any ideas of what else I can look for?

Here's the schematic of the IIfx startup circuit:

macIIfxsch.GIF

Well, my money would be on R3, Q1, C61, C62 or a trace somewhere. Worth checking, anyway :)