IIgs RAM Upgrade help needed!

robin-fo

Tinkerer
Feb 17, 2022
Switzerland
Hi Everybody

Some time ago I acquired an Apple IIgs, my very first non-Macintosh vintage Apple Computer.

I can currently just use the BASIC prompt as I don't have any hard drive card, but I'd like to be able to netboot GS/OS over LocalTalk at some point.

I therefore ordered a Garrets Workshop 8MB RAM card (GW4201D), but after I inserted it (I'm quite sure it has always been in there the right way), the IIgs refused to boot. The LED on the attached AEKII flash, but there is neither chime nor video... If I remove the card again, the system works again.

What did I wrong?

Volvo242GT

Tinkerer
Feb 7, 2022
Currently Duvall, WA
What ROM version are you using? I'm not sure if the GW cards need an upgrade to be used with a ROM 3 machine, like the Applied Engineering cards do. If they do, and you're using a ROM 3 (sounds like you may be using a ROM 01 or 00 machine), that might cause the issues you're noticing. My machine is a ROM 01. Am using a GS-RAM Plus that's fully populated. Boots GS/OS 5.0.2 just fine off a floppy, and the person who had it for a while between the times I've owned it, ran a CFFA3000 card in it with GS/OS 6.0.4 installed.

Volvo242GT

Tinkerer
Feb 7, 2022
Currently Duvall, WA
Ok, so you're stuck with the base 256K RAM. That's enough to at least run ProDOS 16, but, yeah, you'll need to get either the Garret's Workshop card working or pick up another RAM card to have enough for GS/OS.

lauland

New Tinkerer
Dec 12, 2023
I have a rom 01 machine with a gglabs card and a microdrive/turbo with a cfcard.

You don't have any other devices than the GW4201D and the floppy attached? What does the screen display?

robin-fo

Tinkerer
Feb 17, 2022
Switzerland
I have a rom 01 machine with a gglabs card and a microdrive/turbo with a cfcard.

You don't have any other devices than the GW4201D and the floppy attached? What does the screen display?
I don‘t have any card in there and not even a floppy drive attached. The screen stays black (or some dark color, I only have b/w) and there is no boot chime…

lauland

New Tinkerer
Dec 12, 2023
Dang. That's no good, no good at all. I'd say test the card in another IIgs, but the card might be bad.

Have you checked the slot and made sure there's no bent pins?

It's also possible the power supply might be right on the edge and supplying just enough current for the card is too much.

robin-fo

Tinkerer
Feb 17, 2022
Switzerland
I'll check tomorrow about the bent pins. Maybe the PSU is the issue, I's a 110V unit with cut resistor to get it running with 230V. No recap done yet. I don't have another IIgs, they are quite rare here...