iMac G3 (rev1) Install Disc image on a partition

yomatiase

New Tinkerer
Apr 18, 2022
I got a Rev1 iMac.
Obviously the cd drive is dead. As the HD.
I'm changing the HD with a ssd with a pata/sata adaptor.
Can I connect the ssd with a sata/usb adaptor to a g4 and then partition the SSD and put the installer of the mac os 9 in one and boot the iMac from it so then I can install it on the other partition?
The other option is to boot a G4 with a pendrive with the installer os mac os 9 and install on the ssd connected with a sata/sub adaptar , and then put the SSD on the iMac.

Also I'll be replacing the HDs for SSD for my iMac g4 and Mac Cube, probably trying the partition thing too.

Patrick

Tinkerer
Oct 26, 2021
Can I connect the ssd with a sata/usb adaptor to a g4 and then partition the SSD and put the installer of the mac os 9 in one and boot the iMac from it so then I can install it on the other partition?
i'm not sure.

I think it would be easier for you to just install OS 9 on the SSD via the G4. You may need to manually copy over the rom file. but i don't think so. So run the OS 9 installer from the G4, and point it at the drive you are going to move to the iMac. Try that, it will prolly work.

In this era, whenever i got a new powermac, i just moved my hard drive from the older computer and used it on the newer one.