iMac G4 Appreciation Thread

Trash80toG4

Active Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
Oh well, dems da breaks :D
Yah, breaks in the usual direction. Hobble the low end so as not to steal sales from the high end syndrome at its worst. I'm wondering if the iLamp's AirPort card slot might support the VTBook** laptop vidcards I snagged a while back? They've got some crazy specs. Never did find OS9 drivers for it though.

** VillageTronic VTMD-413-270 - supports Windows, Mac and Linux

edit: found something interesting: https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/villagetronic-vibook-usb-graphics-system

Last edited:

indigo_k

New Tinkerer
Oct 13, 2023
I'll admit, I did not fully appreciate this model when they came out - I was still very much enamored with the Space Egg G3 iMac design. But lately I've realized that at this point in my nostalgia, it's basically everything I want out of a Vintage Mac - a stylish form factor with a lightweight LCD, ability to run both OSX AND Classic natively, modern internet connectivity, a massive library of software, AND they can still be found, mostly working, at decent prices. I'm anticipating picking up a non-functioning one later this month and am looking forward to cleaning it up and getting it working again. Probably mostly running it as a music and print server, but also enjoying some retro gaming and software/multimedia dev on it.

phunguss

Tinkerer
Dec 24, 2023
Stillwater, MN
Finally updating my 17" G4 800MHz with an mSata->IDE 32Gb adapter with os9 and 10.4. I updated my 15" G4 1GHz with an mSata-IDE 120Gb running 10.2, 10.3, 10.4, and 10.5 (no classic support)

I 3D printed a mini version running on a Hackintoshed NUC a while ago...
900_mini-wide.jpg

700-front-door.jpg

Intel NUC mini iMac

Attachments

• FM53ENHKH69T0UT.webp
    13.8 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

Trash80toG4

Active Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
Wow! love that micro ilamp setup. PROPS! :D
Have you got a decent enough (super high) resolution on its micro screen as compared to the anemic real deal resolution?
Not to seriously nit-pick, but the only thing I spy missing would be the requisite SD Card next to the USB ports in the optical bay. ;)

phunguss

Tinkerer
Dec 24, 2023
Stillwater, MN
Wow! love that micro ilamp setup. PROPS! :D
Have you got a decent enough (super high) resolution on its micro screen as compared to the anemic real deal resolution?
Not to seriously nit-pick, but the only thing I spy missing would be the requisite SD Card next to the USB ports in the optical bay. ;)
Check the link under the last picture in the post above, for the full write up and lots more pics. It's actually an iPad screen with Mipi driver board and will do 2048x1536 on a 7.6" screen.

600_screen-diag.jpg

900_scaled.jpg

The NUC model I used did not have an SD card slot built in, but the front and back IO shields are customizable to any NUC you use.
800-back-IO.jpg

900_mini-weight.jpg

Next to a 17"
100_sidebyside.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: fehervaria