Induction Soldering

badferday

Tinkerer
Jan 26, 2024
Anyone done it? I am looking at Hakko's induction line with great interest. It's a bit different in that the temperature is determined by the tip, but given how induction works and how lightning fast it adjusts (the tip is monitored automatically) I think it would be quite useable! Things like large ground planes sucking away heat will always be a concern, but this iron is self-adjusting and also has a boost mode, so that doesn't seem like it would be a concern.

Different temps (C/F) are: 350/660, 400/750, 450/840, 480/895. All tips have tip the same temperature tolerance of +15/-25 C.

My only intended application is consumer electronics repairs, almost entirely consoles and computers.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Androda

TinkerDifferent Board Secretary 2023
Staff member
Sep 25, 2021
USA, Western
androda.work
I presently use the Hakko FX-100 system. It has sped up my assembly work considerably from the previous FX-951.

Generally I recommend the 400C tips for lead-free, 350 doesn't cut it with lead-free solder and ground planes.

The soldering station is expensive, and the tips are really weird (stubby short things) but I've liked it.

badferday

Tinkerer
Jan 26, 2024
I presently use the Hakko FX-100 system. It has sped up my assembly work considerably from the previous FX-951.

Generally I recommend the 400C tips for lead-free, 350 doesn't cut it with lead-free solder and ground planes.

The soldering station is expensive, and the tips are really weird (stubby short things) but I've liked it.
Sick! Thanks.

Resistance heat appliances are soooooo last millenium. I figured all the benefits I've realize with my induction cooktop probably translate to soldering, too!

Do you have a recommendation on which handle size? I was thinking both, tbh.

badferday

Tinkerer
Jan 26, 2024
Yeah, I was thinking the miniature one would come in handy for solder bridges and working in small confines. If you had to pick one?

Androda

Staff member
Sep 25, 2021
USA, Western
androda.work
Kind of already did pick one - standard size handle. There are tips available which work for small soldering, and the handle being larger seems more ergonomic.

You'll probably find that people recommend larger soldering tips than you might expect - big ones work just as well for certain use cases like reflowing TSSOP pins or drag soldering ICs. Needing a truly tiny iron tip feels like an edge case for vintage hardware where components generally aren't crammed that close together.

badferday

Tinkerer
Jan 26, 2024
Hahaha. I mean if you had to pick one from the start again. My bad on the wording. Sounds like you are totally happy with the one you have

Anyways, I think homie's gonna throw the second one in, so that's cool.

Those hot tweezers, tho! I think I'm just gonna fab a franken tool. Two regular handles inserted into a tong like device. WTF, Hakko? Some of their stuff seems reasonably priced, and some of it is like... someone's temperature needs to be checked.

max1zzz

Staff member
Sep 23, 2021
I have a Thermaltronics something or other that's the equivalent of a Metcal MX-500 (uses the same tips)
It's certainly a very capable station but I have really struggled to find tips I like for it, I usually use a 2mm bevel with my FX-951 but that just doesn't seem to exist form thermaltornics / metcal, I have tried smaller bevels but found them too small for general work (but fantastic for SMD work on more modern stuff), bent conicals (fantastic for PLCC's but nor much use for anything else), and a couple of different size of chisels (OK for TH stuff but I can't get on with them for SMT stuff) but find myself constantly pciking up the FX-951 because I can use the 2mm bevel for pretty much anything

I do seem to be a bit of a outlier here - everyone else I have spoken to with a induction station seems to love them but I just find the tip selection available frustrating and that keeps pushing me back to the FX-951

Elemenoh

Active Tinkerer
Oct 18, 2021
Bay Area
I use a Metcal 5200 (and used a 500 for a long time). It’s the best soldering station I’ve ever experience and have tons of tips for it that are compatible with the thermaltronics systems. Just check out the Metcal cartridge catalog. There are hundreds of choices.

I love the near immediate and consistent heat you get with induction in general and the Metcal build quality is just awesome. I’m sure Hakko options are good too but check out used Metcal too if it fits your budget.

i found the MX-500 with handpiece for $125 several years ago and got the MX-5200 power supply last year for $200 which just needed a new power switch and a relay knocked back into working order.

badferday

Tinkerer
Jan 26, 2024
Kind of already did pick one - standard size handle. There are tips available which work for small soldering, and the handle being larger seems more ergonomic.

You'll probably find that people recommend larger soldering tips than you might expect - big ones work just as well for certain use cases like reflowing TSSOP pins or drag soldering ICs. Needing a truly tiny iron tip feels like an edge case for vintage hardware where components generally aren't crammed that close together.
I went for the micro handle, only because I like how the tip tapers down in close up photos, and I got the shaky hands. Figured this way, it limits the harm I can do. Hahaha. Also this way, we'll have collectively have tried both handles. I'll let you know how it works out...

Now I just gotta find the tips for not-a-million dollars.

badferday

Tinkerer
Jan 26, 2024
@Androda

So I was thinking one conical, one knife and MAYBE one chisel tip.

400 degrees C on all of them, though being newer to the craft, I'm tempted to start with 350 until I get fast. Or maybe the finer tip (like the conical) in 400 and the other two in 350.

Thoughts?

Androda

Staff member
Sep 25, 2021
USA, Western
androda.work
Conical tips are generally panned, chisel and knife style are usually better overall.

There's nothing wrong with having several tips. These irons are different than older styles in that you aren't swapping out a chunk of metal in front of a heater, so they do cost more. But they work well and under light usage tend to last a long time.

Elemenoh

Active Tinkerer
Oct 18, 2021
Bay Area
I like a hoof tip for a lot of things, especially drag soldering. Bent conical can also come in handy. I also have some PLCC tips which are so helpful to quickly remove those packages. Otherwise a small chisel is great for most things.

Daniel Hansen

Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2021
For me, at least, I find conical tips least useful since I'm rarely trying to apply heat to a single fine point, I'm usually trying to spread heat across pins / pads, or to pin and its via pad, or I'm wanting to 'carry' solder or apply it generally to a pad. So chisel, bent, and hoof. For me, mostly bent conical or a small hoof. In use, it seems like a conical just limits options.

badferday

Tinkerer
Jan 26, 2024
For me, at least, I find conical tips least useful since I'm rarely trying to apply heat to a single fine point, I'm usually trying to spread heat across pins / pads, or to pin and its via pad, or I'm wanting to 'carry' solder or apply it generally to a pad. So chisel, bent, and hoof. For me, mostly bent conical or a small hoof. In use, it seems like a conical just limits options.
How do you use the bent tips? I've never seen one in use and I can't find bent tip usage on circuit boards on YouTube, so I'm having difficulty imagining the application.

No hoof tips availalbe for this fella yet. :(

Daniel Hansen

Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2021
How do you use the bent tips? I've never seen one in use and I can't find bent tip usage on circuit boards on YouTube, so I'm having difficulty imagining the application.

No hoof tips availalbe for this fella yet. :(
Hakko has a couple videos showing some examples:
I think if you watch earlier Louis Rossman videos (I know, yawn) or Northbridge videos, they also use bent tips quite a lot, so you might get a sense of use. Try it out and see how it feels - all really depends on what works for you.