INDUSTRIAL-look SE/30 Case Design

badferday

Tinkerer
Jan 26, 2024
Hi all,

OK, not 3D printing, but definitely industrial design, so I felt this post best belongs in here.

I just came up with a project inspired by the clear MacEffects SE/30 case!!!

I'm thinking an SE/30 enclosure in a metal frame with smoked glass panels.

As a starting point, I need to get a 100% intact and 100% complete SE/30 case 3D scanned - inside and out. I don't have one though. Maybe I could borrow someone's if they are nearby, or someone here might be willing to take theirs to a print shop. I would cover the cost and pick the shop, of course.

Additional ideas that came to mind just while writing this:
  • reinforced handles, because of course
  • travel/childproofing clips, because of course
  • speaker on glass design, would need some frequency adjustment and extra power - Raspberry Pi stuff
  • neodymium magnet panel attachment system (with certain panels made of plexi for CRT/magnetic media/speaker considerations (great for changing up the look without having to disassemble anything)
You know what? Let's made this a Tinkerdifferent hive mind project; add features you'd like to see!

OK, bye.

- Katrina

Last edited:

badferday

Tinkerer
Jan 26, 2024
Oh! Glass and metal absorb heat easier than plastic, so such an enclosure would also help cooling with those who have beefed up systems. The potential for conductive cooling may not seem like such a noticeable factor,. but in areas of denser componentry (where air moves slower) this will def have an impact.

While we're dumping work on the Pi Pico, why not add a thermal sensor? This will allow for quieter fan speeds in an adjustable fan scenario.

Haha. This is getting fuuuuun!

Last edited:

Patrick

Tinkerer
Oct 26, 2021
if you can't find a SE/30 maybe you can find a Macintosh SE . the case design is slightly modified. so maybe you could modify the 3D model to look more SE/30.

(i'm thinking mostly the removal of the top floppy drive. but there might be other details also.

SE's would be easier to find i think.....

Reactions: Callan

badferday

Tinkerer
Jan 26, 2024
if you can't find a SE/30 maybe you can find a Macintosh SE . the case design is slightly modified. so maybe you could modify the 3D model to look more SE/30.

(i'm thinking mostly the removal of the top floppy drive. but there might be other details also.

SE's would be easier to find i think.....
Good point! I wonder what the case differences are. I have a feeling the lion's share of differences are in the chassis, etc.

Patrick

Tinkerer
Oct 26, 2021
1707171217285.png

Mac SE with 2 floppy drives.
most models replaced the top floppy drive with a hard drive. In that case, a plate was inserted. but it was still noticeable.

1707171323620.png

as you can see for the SE/30. a "two floppy" version was never sold. and so there is no hole for a 2nd floppy.
The lines just continue... so it would take some work. I don't know how hard that work is for 3D models ?

Anyways. its prolly better to get a SE/30 case. but i was just offering another option. i think SE/30's are in high demand. or they were....

P.S.
i took the images from lowendmac https://lowendmac.com/low-end-macs-tech-specs-index/

badferday

Tinkerer
Jan 26, 2024
View attachment 14868
Mac SE with 2 floppy drives.
most models replaced the top floppy drive with a hard drive. In that case, a plate was inserted. but it was still noticeable.

View attachment 14870
as you can see for the SE/30. a "two floppy" version was never sold. and so there is no hole for a 2nd floppy.
The lines just continue... so it would take some work. I don't know how hard that work is for 3D models ?

Anyways. its prolly better to get a SE/30 case. but i was just offering another option. i think SE/30's are in high demand. or they were....

P.S.
i took the images from lowendmac https://lowendmac.com/low-end-macs-tech-specs-index/

I think you're bang on about the SE cases differences and the work to clean up an SE case is trivial. Could even provide the option with a little included plate.

My main concerns are if there are extra interior bits that differ. Far as I can tell, the case is simply a cover, and nothing is fastened to it. Watching a few teardowns now.