Interesting solution for LocalTalk to Ethernet bridge

rjkucia

Tinkerer
Dec 21, 2021
Madison, Wisconsin, USA
How do these things compare to something like a RaSCSI or The Old Net's Wifi adapter? As in, would those $20 eBay ones or the new Asante ones be able to accomplish the same goal of connecting an old Mac to a modern network?

Tom2112

New Tinkerer
Nov 14, 2021
I don't know, even though I own both the AstanteTalk and RaSCSI. I've not managed to get the RaSCSI networking working, though to be honest, I haven't tried too hard either.

Fizzbinn

Tinkerer
Nov 29, 2021
Charlottesville, VA
Does the AsanteTalk work well for Internet? Or is that really just for LocalTalk?

This is just a physical media bridge for the AppleTalk network protocol, LocalTalk <-> Ethernet. You would need a MacIP Gateway (software or device with both AppleTalk and TCP/IP plus encapsulation code) and MacIP client software to be able to get Mac with only AppleTalk networking connected to an IP network and/or the internet. Something like https://www.macip.net/

Last edited:

reallyrandy

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
New Jersey
Does the AsanteTalk work well for Internet? Or is that really just for LocalTalk?
I would think with MacTCP you could connect to the net. I doubt DHCP would work but you could always set it manually.

I do know of folks connecting an SE to the net so I suppose it can be done. I don't know much about browsers that would be useful on the modern internet though..

reallyrandy

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
New Jersey
This is just a physical media bridge for the AppleTalk network protocol, LocalTalk <-> Ethernet. You would need a MacIP Gateway (software or device with both AppleTalk and TCP/IP plus encapsulation code) and MacIP client software to be able to get Mac with only AppleTalk networking connected to an IP network and/or the internet. Something like https://www.macip.net/
Wow, that looks pretty cool. I did not know about MacIP.

Reactions: Fizzbinn

rjkucia

Tinkerer
Dec 21, 2021
Madison, Wisconsin, USA
Here’s the Farallon version for $19.99 BIN shipped:

I use this one, certainly works for more than hooking just a single LocalTalk printer to an Ethernet network.
Looking at this again - it might just be Ethernet-Phonenet, not Localtalk at all? I see two RJ-style ports on it, no DIN-style ports though

reallyrandy

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
New Jersey
I only see an RJ-11 and an RJ-45. That should still work if you have a phoneNet adapter. I would think most of us do. Too bad I already ordered the Asanté or I would save some dosh and buy this one.

Fizzbinn

Tinkerer
Nov 29, 2021
Charlottesville, VA
Oooh, so you could go LocalTalk-Phone-Ethernet that way? That makes sense then.

I have this Farallon adapter, since it has a single PhoneNet connector it just goes at one end of PhoneNet LocalTalk daisy chain network, you don't need a PhoneNet adapter for it.

Ethernet switch <- Ethernet cable -> Farallon adapter <- phone cable -> PhoneNet adapter to old Mac <- phone cable -> PhoneNet adapter (termination switch on) to old LaserWriter

I'm not sure many folks use Apple's original LocalTalk cabling, PhoneNet is LocalTalk electrically, just cheaper cabling compared to Apple's.

reallyrandy

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
New Jersey
Just arrived, fresh from Asanté!!!

20220113_181310.jpg

Reactions: rjkucia and Tom2112

trag

Tinkerer
Oct 25, 2021
Nice. I have a couple of MicroAsantePrints, so I really don't need one, but I'm tempted anyway.

New...

Shrink wrapped....

Pretty box...

pfuentes69

Active Tinkerer
Oct 27, 2021
Switzerland

Attachments

• 0ED8DF18-E47D-41DE-92C9-F08E209D48D2.jpeg
    0ED8DF18-E47D-41DE-92C9-F08E209D48D2.jpeg
    50.3 KB · Views: 107

Fizzbinn

Tinkerer
Nov 29, 2021
Charlottesville, VA
This is similar to this other model, right?
Yes, but the EtherMac Printer Adapter is for getting a single LocalTalk device connected to Ethernet. I have the very similar EtherMac PowerBook Adapter.

Lots of info here:

On neat thing with these is they have two modes, regular, driverless LocalTalk mode (speed up to 230.4 Kbps) and higher speed, driver required "alternative" mode (speed up to 1,152 Kbps). From the link above:

"The alternative mode is to install the optional high-speed serial driver provided by Farallon. This driver will boost the performance of the adapter to up to 5 times that of LocalTalk. The serial driver is not compatible with Open Transport."

I tested this out and alt mode was faster although I'm not sure about 5 times, I didn't do a formal benchmark, just timed a file copy.

Reactions: pfuentes69