Issue with ROMinator II and SE/30 (bad contact)

pfuentes69

Active Tinkerer
Oct 27, 2021
Switzerland
Hi,
I got a ROMinator from a friend that is not working on my SE/30 due to bad contact.
A friend printed for me the clips designed by PotatoFi, bu it's not enough. I can only make it work if I stick some duct tape to add tension, but this is not a reliable solution.
ROMinator.jpg

Do you think I could apply a thin layer of solder to the pads to add thickness or is a bad idea?

pfuentes69

Active Tinkerer
Oct 27, 2021
Switzerland
Are you sure they printed the right clips? There are three types (though two of them are the white plastic that have the issue), double check first to see if yours is a type a or type b and make sure the right one was 3d printed. https://www.etsy.com/listing/840042244/macintosh-se30-rom-clips this link can help you to decypher which type of slot yours has.
Yes. The clips are the "Type B", and fit fine, but they don't add enough tension, I still need to add the duct tape so the Mac boots.
IMG_2210.jpeg

Nixontheknight

Tinkerer
Nov 3, 2021
Hi,
I got a ROMinator from a friend that is not working on my SE/30 due to bad contact.
A friend printed for me the clips designed by PotatoFi, bu it's not enough. I can only make it work if I stick some duct tape to add tension, but this is not a reliable solution.
View attachment 3564
Do you think I could apply a thin layer of solder to the pads to add thickness or is a bad idea?
the rominator SIMM is known to be slightly thinner than the standard ROM SIMM, so adding some solder to the pins might be a good idea, just be careful not to bridge any pins in the process.

Reactions: pfuentes69

YMK

Active Tinkerer
Nov 8, 2021
Plenty of flux and drag soldering should give you a uniform thickness.

Doing just one side might be enough.

Reactions: pfuentes69

Drake

TinkerDifferent Board Vice-President 2023
Staff member
Sep 23, 2021
One of the unfortunate restrictions with PCB design (in regards to vintage computers) is the 1.2mm and 1.6mm thickness sizing standard. Se30 Simm slots are ~1.26mm and after 30+ years the clips themselves are looser.

On some of my reproduction ram sticks I had to drag solder to ensure consistent contact in aging slots. Maybe less than ideal, especially if selling retail but... It works.

Screenshot_20220314-213455.png

max1zzz

Staff member
Sep 23, 2021
One of the unfortunate restrictions with PCB design (in regards to vintage computers) is the 1.2mm and 1.6mm thickness sizing standard. Se30 Simm slots are ~1.26mm and after 30+ years the clips themselves are looser.

On some of my reproduction ram sticks I had to drag solder to ensure consistent contact in aging slots. Maybe less than ideal, especially if selling retail but... It works.

View attachment 3570
Whats with blanking out the part numbers on the chips? Have you found a super secret source of 16mx4 DRAM chips no one else knows about :ROFLMAO:

Drake

Staff member
Sep 23, 2021
Whats with blanking out the part numbers on the chips? Have you found a super secret source of 16mx4 DRAM chips no one else knows about :ROFLMAO:
the last VRAM project was killed quickly by an individual buying the entire inventory available... anywhere, then doubling the price for users that wanted some. So while our little group that created THAT project and this new one are still tinkering with the designs we'd rather avoid having that happen again.

• Wow
Reactions: retr01 and rjkucia

max1zzz

Staff member
Sep 23, 2021
the last VRAM project was killed quickly by an individual buying the entire inventory available... anywhere, then doubling the price for users that wanted some. So while our little group that created THAT project and this new one are still tinkering with the designs we'd rather avoid having that happen again.
Fair enough! If they are the chips I think they are i'm impressed you found them at all (I tried and couldn't. Ended up pulling them from 72pin simms given to me by a 68kmla member)

Drake

Staff member
Sep 23, 2021
Fair enough! If they are the chips I think they are i'm impressed you found them at all (I tried and couldn't. Ended up pulling them from 72pin simms given to me by a 68kmla member)
I found a couple sources that were cost effective in the end, the drive to fill my Q950 with 256mb was the catalyst haha 16 darn sticks at ebay prices? heck no! this route was about $4 per 16mb stick

Nixontheknight

Tinkerer
Nov 3, 2021
I found a couple sources that were cost effective in the end, the drive to fill my Q950 with 256mb was the catalyst haha 16 darn sticks at ebay prices? heck no! this route was about $4 per 16mb stick
I know that siliconinsider sells some as well, I'm not sure if he has that capacity, but I know he has a lot of vram and ram for powerbooks