lilliputian

Tinkerer
Mar 6, 2022
Los Angeles, California, USA
So I've acquired a Jaz USB Adapter (very cheaply, I should add!) which came with an Iomega 25-pin SCSI adapter. Since SCSI is SCSI and USB is USB, it should work as a generic SCSI to USB adapter, no? However as a test I plugged it into my modern machine connected to a Zip 100 SCSI (with disk inserted) and... nothing. The light on the adapter doesn't even turn on.

Wondering if anyone has used this device before? Is there a trick to it? Maybe a battery inside to switch? Only works on older machines?

Also curious if anyone has the manual and would be willing to scan or photograph it, doesn't seem to be available via Google or on Archive.org.

Last edited:

AvadonDragon

Tinkerer
Jan 27, 2023
Tennessee
I don't know about that specific SCSI to USB converter but the one I have I could only find drivers for/get to work with very old OS's. Works well in Linux though. Mine is Belkin branded.

AvadonDragon

Tinkerer
Jan 27, 2023
Tennessee
Ok since this sparked my interest in the device again I've been reading a long thread about these things over on applefritter. Two things of note I've found so far -
First someone said, "Iomega flatly states on their web site that their Jaz USB-to-SCSI adapter doesn't work under OS X, period."
Second It seems because of how the OS X driver handles USB-to-SCSI adapters you HAVE to set your drive to SCSI ID 0 and can only use a single SCSI device. I have a suspicion that new versions of Windows may work this way as well since it's treating the device as normal USB mass storage. I need to test with mine and see if it works.

However as a test I plugged it into my modern machine connected to a Zip 100 SCSI (with disk inserted) and... nothing. The light on the adapter doesn't even turn on.
Another thing that was mentioned was that many SCSI-to-USB adapters need to have termination power supplied and some devices and cables don't supply it. The Zip drive in particular was mentioned. Of course having to set the SCSI ID to 0 is a deal breaker with the Zip drive anyways.

Last edited:

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
There is some information about this Jaz USB Adapter via the Wayback Machine. According to Iomega, as of June 2000:
It's our biggest Jaz® accessory to come along in years! The hot, plug-and-play Jaz USB adapter is the quick and easy USB connection for mobile professionals and PC or Apple® users who need the Jaz drive's high-capacity, high-performance storage. The Jaz USB adapter is compatible with over 2.5 million Jaz 1GB and 2GB drives shipped. It's the ideal way to connect your Jaz drive to iMacs® or G3/G4 computers using Mac® OS 8.5.1-9.0, or any PCs with USB connectors that run Windows® 95, 98, or NT® 4.0.

So, those adapters are intended for Jaz drives and should work with G3 or G4 Macs running MacOS 8.5.1 through 9.

I will try to find the drivers and more information.

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
In the July 1996 issue of MacUser magazine, on page 42, there was a review of the Iomega Jaz.

1676414795339.png

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
Interestingly, it appears that the Iomega Jaz USB adapter used to be supported under MacOS 8.1 and then stopped. o_O See the sticker on the box:

1676416077511.png

lilliputian

Tinkerer
Mar 6, 2022
Los Angeles, California, USA
Another thing that was mentioned was that many SCSI-to-USB adapters need to have termination power supplied and some devices and cables don't supply it. The Zip drive in particular was mentioned. Of course having to set the SCSI ID to 0 is a deal breaker with the Zip drive anyways.
That's good to know about the SCSI ID. I don't actually need to do it with a Zip 100 SCSI drive since I have a USB one, I was just trying it as a test. Perhaps I will try it with a hard drive that can have its scsi ID assigned to zero, and I'll just make sure it has termination resistors installed.