retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
KeepitSimple_cover.jpg
DesignForward_cover.jpg

Hello everyone! :)👋

Back in January 1982, German designer Hartmut Esslinger met Steve Jobs. Part of their conversation went something like this:

SJ: "What do you think of Apple?"​
HE: "Cool but bad design."​
SJ: "What...? Why?"​
HE: "The products are incredibly ugly."​
Hartmut explained to Steve, who understood and accepted. Steve was impressed with Hartmut and brought him to help design at Apple. Hartmut had worked for Sony for eight years. While Sony had great products, they did not see the need to add a personal computer to their products. As Hartmut worked for Apple and others, he amassed great design concepts. His two books have many pictures of various design concepts. Many were for Apple that never developed into prototypes. A few were developed into prototypes but never produced and marketed.

Esslinger_01.jpg
hartmut-apple-10-tablet-3-16x9.jpg
Early-Apple-designs-image-001.jpg
12.12.27-Esslinger.jpg

I am curious, what design concepts do you want to work on, or are you currently working on as your tinker project? If you can, please attach a picture of the idea. If you are currently working on a tinker project based on one of Hartmut's designs and shared online, please share the link of your posting(s).

Let's build a discussion about many different cool design concepts! If you know an idea for any design concept, please express it!

Design and Tinker Forward! :D(y)🛠️🧰⚙️🪚📏📐🖊️✏️🎨🖌️🥳

Last edited:

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
I will start. :)

I have always loved the Snow White design language! :love: Such beautiful and sleek lines, form, and simplicity! All of my vintage Apple products have Snow White appearances.😊

Then, I came across this:

macintosh-pocket-6.jpg
macintosh-pocket-2.jpg
macintosh-pocket-4.jpg
macintosh-pocket-5.jpg

My jaw dropped! 😲 Now, that I WANT! 🤩

I am thinking of several versions of this handheld Mac: MacPocket, MacPocketC, and MacTablet.

MacPocket
MacPocketC
MacTablet
4" LCD Screen B/W (Touch)6" LCD Screen Color (Touch)10" LCD Screen Color (Touch)
Built-in TrackballBuilt-in TrackballBuilt-in Trackball
Built-in QWERTY 40% KeyboardBuilt-in QWERTY 40% KeyboardOn-screen QWERTY 60% Keyboard
Built-in SpeakerBuilt-in SpeakerBuilt-in Speaker
Headphone jack with volume controlHeadphone jack with volume controlHeadphone jack with volume control
External SCSI connectorExternal SCSI connectorExternal SCSI connector
ADB / Printer / Serial connectorsADB / Printer / Serial connectorsADB / Printer / Serial connectors
Power jackPower jackPower jack
SD card slotSD card slotSD card slot

As I think about it, it could be 68030 or 68040 based. Undoubtedly, form factor and size present challenges since there is no current FPGA emulating 68030 or 68040-based chipsets. The 10" tablet could work using one of the small form factors such as the LC III logic board. Yet, for the MacPocket units, it may need to be based on the R Pi board, R Pi Zero board, or similar running emulation. The B/W and color MacPocket units may need to be merged into one MacPocket offering a color screen.

Cheers!