Kernel Panic on PowerMac G3

usta

New Tinkerer
Aug 23, 2022
I have an issue with my PowerMac G3. I aciddently changed to resolution 640x480 from 1920x1080 after applied this settings thats happened. There is a video about error. I would like to reinstall macOS back but I don’t have to do it. I tried to toast .dmg but I couldn't achieve it.

I don't have any Apple layout keyboard and CD for burning OS.
I have MacBook Pro M1

Patrick

Tinkerer
Oct 26, 2021
Thats weird,
On bootup, try pressing the keys Command-Option-P-R together. that should reset the parameter RAM. Which will hopefully reset the computer to default settings. (like the resolution)

If you are using a windows keyboard. use the windows key instead of command.

usta

New Tinkerer
Aug 23, 2022
Thats weird,
On bootup, try pressing the keys Command-Option-P-R together. that should reset the parameter RAM. Which will hopefully reset the computer to default settings. (like the resolution)

If you are using a windows keyboard. use the windows key instead of command.
After a while I booted up today again. Somehow question mark appears on screen seems like it can't see the OS. Is there anyway the reinstall the OS with USB drive?

Volvo242GT

Tinkerer
Feb 7, 2022
Currently Duvall, WA
Your MacBook Pro should be able to burn the CD images from the Macintosh Garden. You might have to add .iso after the .toast part in the filename before Disk Utility will recognize it, but it should work. When I had this occur on my G3 last spring, I was able to burn the four CDs necessary to install OS X 10.4 on the G3's hard drive. The G3 recognized the discs and I was able to reinstall 10.4 without problems after I removed the Adaptec 2940 SCSI card I was using back then.

usta

New Tinkerer
Aug 23, 2022
Your MacBook Pro should be able to burn the CD images from the Macintosh Garden. You might have to add .iso after the .toast part in the filename before Disk Utility will recognize it, but it should work. When I had this occur on my G3 last spring, I was able to burn the four CDs necessary to install OS X 10.4 on the G3's hard drive. The G3 recognized the discs and I was able to reinstall 10.4 without problems after I removed the Adaptec 2940 SCSI card I was using back then.
Unfortunately I have MacBook Pro 2020. I lend my 2012 MacBook Pro to my friend when I get back I will try it. Another question; Which version of OS X should I install? Does 10.4 compatible?

speakers

Tinkerer
Nov 5, 2021
San Jose, CA
peak-weber.net
Unfortunately I have MacBook Pro 2020. I lend my 2012 MacBook Pro to my friend when I get back I will try it. Another question; Which version of OS X should I install? Does 10.4 compatible?
10.4 Tiger is what you want. Earlier versions will work but aren't as good; later versions require at least a G4. I run Tiger on my PowerMac1,1 (along with MacOS9.2 and Debian8 and OpenBSD7).

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
Does macOS 9 available at Macintosh Garden?

Yes. There are various images of Mac OS 9 over there. Try this one:

usta

New Tinkerer
Aug 23, 2022
Yes. There are various images of Mac OS 9 over there. Try this one:

How can I. burn it to o CD ROM? Or Can I boot from USB drive?

Patrick

Tinkerer
Oct 26, 2021
Reactions: usta and retr01

usta

New Tinkerer
Aug 23, 2022
CD's have always just been easier. so i've always stuck with that. However, i did find a link that gives instructions on how to do it. But i've never tried it myself. YMMV
How can I create a USB drive or CD for install?

Patrick

Tinkerer
Oct 26, 2021
for USB. i have no idea. I don't think simply dragging the files to the USB would work.
* the G3 will want it to be formatted HFS (i'm not sure if HFS+ would work or not)
* modern OS's don't really do HFS anymore. You can prolly try with HFS+ tho....
* you would need to make sure you have the right ROM files specific for the G3.
to put it another way. doing a USB thumbdrive option. is the difficult and less traveled way.

For CD. you just burn the CD image to a disc, put that in the drive, and hold down C.
way easier.

usta

New Tinkerer
Aug 23, 2022
for USB. i have no idea. I don't think simply dragging the files to the USB would work.
* the G3 will want it to be formatted HFS (i'm not sure if HFS+ would work or not)
* modern OS's don't really do HFS anymore. You can prolly try with HFS+ tho....
* you would need to make sure you have the right ROM files specific for the G3.
to put it another way. doing a USB thumbdrive option. is the difficult and less traveled way.

For CD. you just burn the CD image to a disc, put that in the drive, and hold down C.
way easier.
Am I going to burn ISO file for CD right?