Kernel Panic on PowerMac G3

Patrick

Tinkerer
Oct 26, 2021
yeah. get ISO. have cd writer drive, use disk utility to burn the ISO file to the CD.

don't have a ISO file ON the cd by itself. the contents of the ISO should be on the cd.

speakers

Tinkerer
Nov 5, 2021
San Jose, CA
peak-weber.net
Am I going to burn ISO file for CD right?
Yes - burn a CD-R from the ISO. But be aware that it may be picky about what CD media it will read. My B&W G3 has a DVD drive that doesn't like CD-Rs and I need to burn CD ISO images onto DVD-R media.

Your machine, a PowerMac1,1, can't boot from USB but will be happy with a CD/DVD. Later machines - G4 PowerMacs and even the G3 PowerBook - have firmware that boot from USB. USB is part of the "New World" but the PowerMac1,1 was perhaps the first machine to get the New World ROM but it's not up to snuff with USB support.

And to re-iterate: you really should install Tiger on this machine.

usta

New Tinkerer
Aug 23, 2022
Yes - burn a CD-R from the ISO. But be aware that it may be picky about what CD media it will read. My B&W G3 has a DVD drive that doesn't like CD-Rs and I need to burn CD ISO images onto DVD-R media.

Your machine, a PowerMac1,1, can't boot from USB but will be happy with a CD/DVD. Later machines - G4 PowerMacs and even the G3 PowerBook - have firmware that boot from USB. USB is part of the "New World" but the PowerMac1,1 was perhaps the first machine to get the New World ROM but it's not up to snuff with USB support.

And to re-iterate: you really should install Tiger on this machine.
I'm thinking about upgrade from 9.2.2 to Tiger. If instructions are same I could install Tiger too.

Patrick

Tinkerer
Oct 26, 2021
thats my suggestion. start with system 9.2.2 .. than install tiger on top.

that way you can run 9.2.2 in a classic environment inside Tiger.

but i personally think 9.2.2 is more fun....

but more than anything. TINKER and have fun. Try things out. once you figure out how to burn CD's and get the computer to boot off them. the sky is the limit.

Reactions: usta