LaserWriter 2 Paper feed issues

ScutBoy

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Northfield, MN USA
I'm reviving a LaserWriter 2. I got a new "power block" (also known as HP Power module RG9-0205 - $25 on eBay) so now the printer powers up successfully. When feeding paper from the tray, the pickup roller gets it about an inch into the printer and then the paper stops. If, however, I feed paper through the manual feed, it fully accepts it and runs all the way through the printer.

I realize I need to pull the pickup rollers and clean/refurbish, but is there any other kind of sensor or something that might be failing that would stop the paper from feeding through from the tray?

The LaserWriter service manual doesn't seem to indicate there is, but I figured it was worth asking.

The printer is putting an image down on the paper, along with globs of toner, but I think that will be an easier problem to solve - likely just a new toner cartridge.

Once this one is done, then I need to attack my "original" LaserWriter, where the rollers have all turned to goo...

Woodengamer

New Tinkerer
Sep 23, 2021
I know on old similar era HP Laserjets the intake rollers would oxidize and have problems feeding in properly. There are some chemicals that are good for restoring the texture of that old rubber, the best is no longer made called 'Federon' but if you ask our friend Jackson, they have a similar product on the bench that I haven't tried yet. That might help. No idea about a sensor though.

ScutBoy

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Northfield, MN USA
I think my friend "up on the hill" at the local college might have a small stash of Federon, but I don't know if he'll share :)

ScutBoy

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Northfield, MN USA
Well, a cleaning of the pickup rollers with a damp cloth and some Q-tips, and inexplicably a different toner cartridge seems to have gotten things sorted out, at least in the short term!

After cleaning the rollers, it was still having trouble picking up paper, but when I changed out the toner cartridge, then there were no more pickup issues - even printing a 20 page document.

I'll let it sit overnight, and see if my good luck holds out tomorrow!

Attachments

• LaserWriter_2.jpg
    LaserWriter_2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 59

alex_santos

New Tinkerer
Sep 25, 2021
I haven't read all the replies but as soon as I saw this thread I immediately thought of the "unofficial Apple VHS Archive" channel on YouTube. I searched the channel for "laserwriter" and there are a few Apple Service Videos on the LaserWriter models, including a 40 minute video on the LaserWriter II.

LaserWriter II Printer Service Training - Apple VHS Archive <--Video

There does appear to be a Paper Delivery Sensor, as described on Page 37 of "LaserWriter II Service Course, Service Training, Participant Manual Version 1.1"
- Found here https://www.vintageapple.org/laserw...ourse_Participant_Manual_Version_1.1_1996.pdf

1632583375712.png

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Wow
Reactions: JDW and fehervaria

Mac84

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 4, 2021
New Jersey, USA
www.mac84.net
Well, a cleaning of the pickup rollers with a damp cloth and some Q-tips, and inexplicably a different toner cartridge seems to have gotten things sorted out, at least in the short term!

After cleaning the rollers, it was still having trouble picking up paper, but when I changed out the toner cartridge, then there were no more pickup issues - even printing a 20 page document.

I'll let it sit overnight, and see if my good luck holds out tomorrow!
Ohh, I wonder if this is why mine is having a similar issue. Now you have me wanting to fuss with mine again...

Well done on getting yours to work! 👏

ScutBoy

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Northfield, MN USA
Ohh, I wonder if this is why mine is having a similar issue. Now you have me wanting to fuss with mine again...

Well done on getting yours to work! 👏
Well, you get one LaserWriter to work and then this happens... wife was unimpressed!

Attachments

• IMG_2610.jpg
    IMG_2610.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 56
Reactions: alexADB