LC 550 Takky Upgrade, questions.

Arbystpossum

New Tinkerer
Jan 8, 2024
USA
Going off of the simple logic that people steal the logic boards out of the LC 500 series and put them into their Color Classics, it stands to reason, that the Takky Upgrade for the color classics would also work for an LC 500! Unfortunately, I can't really find much information on anyone trying this, I think there's one example on reddit but it was never finished out. I'm a bit confused though, about the pinout for the edge connector and analogue board. Picture attached, am I reading this right? The staggered nature confuses me a bit, and I don't want to mess this up.
Screen Shot 2024-03-13 at 10.27.12 AM.png

Arbystpossum

New Tinkerer
Jan 8, 2024
USA
Made progress but now it's on hold, need a 3.3v regulator. I'm also stumped at the pinout for the face buttons and headphone jack. The Takky guide at powercc.org shows the pinout for the Analogue board, and what they all do, but it doesn't tell you what the pinout for the face buttons are. It shows you the order you need for a cable transfer, but not what they do. I suppose a tacky LC500 is not documented. I'm trying to figure out how to wire the face buttons of the LC500 to the harness, so that it all works.
Screenshot_20240316-214322-203.png

Arbystpossum

New Tinkerer
Jan 8, 2024
USA
Most I've been able to scrape up from the way back machine was a vague diagram focused on getting an IR sensor working in a color classic. I don't know what it means though.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240316-223116~2.png
    Screenshot_20240316-223116~2.png
    48.8 KB · Views: 14

Arbystpossum

New Tinkerer
Jan 8, 2024
USA
I've managed to get good enough video, speaks don't play sound and the face buttons/led/audio don't work. A lot more to do here. I'm not sure what I did wrong at this point.
IMG_20240319_170710129.jpg

Reactions: ClassicHasClass

Arbystpossum

New Tinkerer
Jan 8, 2024
USA
Trying to figure out the pinout still. I'm beginning to wonder if there's a problem with my push-button board, the power LED never lights up on it. I've managed to find out what some of these connections do. I'm sure this project is going to extend well into next month, the power supply is VERY noisy now and this noise is bleeding through to the speakers too. I think I need to mount a second power supply in there. Oddly, the system boots with the external speakers muted, I think the unit believes headphones are plugged in. I suspect Blue and Purple have something to do with audio, but I can't confirm, I only know that if other wires touch them then I get noise in the speakers. Brown is apparently power, but my millimeter says White puts out more power. I don't even have a slight clue what brightness controls are, poking wires together does not adjust brightness. Still looking for a pinout of the 630 Wire harness.

EDIT: I've made some discoveries, but there's also a lot about electronics that I don't know yet, but it's a start. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute to people making Takky LC500's in the future.

Schemes.png

Last edited:

Arbystpossum

New Tinkerer
Jan 8, 2024
USA
I finally managed to do it, but it's not great. Honest advice? Not worth the trouble. It's interesting for sure, but the plastic of the chassis is so brittle, lots of work needs to be done, and even now the PCI Ethernet card isn't found by the system, and the CRT needs to be adjusted quite a bit. The front headphone jack works, as well as the volume up/down and contrast.
IMG_20240515_211347769_HDR.jpg

Reactions: bakkus