Leftover Extra Part

RetroViator

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
retroviator.com
I will embarrass myself, but here goes:

Several months ago, I completely tore down, cleaned, and recapped a fine blueberry iMac DV. Aside from the horror of the inner bezel, it went fine, but it sat on my bench for a while. When I reassembled it, I had a piece leftover.

IMG_2979.jpeg

I carefully studied the service manual and asked online. One wonderful person even started taking apart his iMac to help me, but the part never found its place back inside the iMac. So, I relive my shame by asking if anyone is familiar with where this part goes.

You can also read about the restoration and part mystery at https://retroviator.com/2021/05/29/apple-imac-dv/.

RetroViator

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
retroviator.com
Yep! It works like a champ. :)

It sure looks like it is supposed to cover something that is up against the housing (thus the soft bumper). I almost convinced myself it must go in a different computer, but the part number closely matches other metal parts in the iMac.

Certificate of Excellence

Active Tinkerer
Nov 1, 2021
United Sates
I just pulled a couple imac tray loaders apart for a clean and new pram batteries and dont recall that part. I had a slot loadaer apart but that was eons ago. You'd think with those three screw holes and teh divets/holes on the ears, it would match up with something easy to spot. Digging into the slot loader DV service manual it sure seems like it comes from the section behind the Audio and power LED board. I noticed that EFI foam on the front right and very back of the divider panel as well.

Do you have any other pictures of that part from the other side?

Last edited: