Lisa Sun20 drive questions/revival

ScutBoy

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Northfield, MN USA
I posted this just now on the LisaList2 site, but thought I'd toss it out here as well...

---

I have on hand a Sun20 hard drive - I presume out of an XL at some point in time.

When placed in an XL with Lisa ROMs, the drive spins up but is not recognized. BLU does not appear to recognize the drive either.

Some googling has not turned up any info on how to test or use one of these drives, at least that I can find.

Of course, the MFM(?) drive is suspect at this point due to age. My drive is a Kyocera. The SunRem controller board had a chip labeled "Sun Controller Rev F".

So my questions are..

Any outstanding doc on these drives?
Are they suitable for both LisaOS and Macworks, or Macworks only?
Is there special software or process to set up this drive for use?
If I need to replace the drive mechanism, what would be suitable for replacement drives?

If I've missed some obvious trove of info on-line please feel free to point me at it. Otherwise, I look forward to what you can help me learn about this guy!

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
I think I found some information....

This site has many documentation for the Lisa. Herein are several documents regarding repair and other information. Many were supported by Sun Remarketing.

Sun Remarketing based in Logan, Utah and one other organization stepped up to provide support for the Apple Lisa and related products. By 1989, Apple ordered the remaining Lisas to be destroyed, so Sun dumped it at a dump area near Logan, Utah. Years later, by early 2000s, Sun Remarketing folded up and was bought out by Cherokee Data in 2006. You can read more information about Sun and other(s):

Let me try to pinpoint down to the Sun20 and the related controller board.

Last edited:

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
While looking for more technical and servicing information on the Sun20, I found this. Now we know when Sun20 was released for the Lisa. :)

1676678596237.png
1676678641215.png

Source: http://www.apple-iigs.info/doc/fichiers/SunTimes - Sun Remarketing - Catalog Spring 1987.pdf

Reactions: Paralel