Looking for flex cables to recreate

Androda

TinkerDifferent Board Secretary 2023
Staff member
Sep 25, 2021
USA, Western
androda.work
Flex cables in the Atari Portfolio (hinge), PowerBooks (display, SCSI), and many other systems are wearing out, cracking, and becoming unusable.

I'm looking for dead flex cables to recreate, basically. There's no guarantee that all possible designs can be recreated, given connector availability and possibly other constraints such as complexity. But there's no way to know without trying.

If there's enough interest, I will probably (try to) set up some sort of preorder or registry system. That way we can batch together orders to decrease costs. A set of 5 cables is expensive, but stepping up to 10 or 20 drops the per-cable cost noticeably. This is per-design by the way, can't order 20 of 4 different types and get the lower pricing.

*If you have a cable suggestion, and own that cable, let me know. I've been using the originals as a template, and can't just make one without an example.*

Last edited:

LongAlphabet

New Tinkerer
Mar 7, 2022
This needs more attention - thank you for tacking this!

Perhaps a list of cable projects you're (currently) attempting, and the success of this project would help?
Let's get this more traction as this is a real concern, and, perhaps more resources (other members) could help contribute too.

Androda

Staff member
Sep 25, 2021
USA, Western
androda.work
Order is placed for the first test run of eMate 300 display flex cables.

Presuming they work, I'll be using several of these to fix up that lot of eMates I recently acquired.

---------
If you have a system which is dead because of a bad flex cable, please contact me about it. A picture of the cable is helpful to tell if it can be easily recreated, since some of them use really funky connectors.

Androda

Staff member
Sep 25, 2021
USA, Western
androda.work
After a great many rounds of back and forth with the flex cable manufacturer, the eMate flex cables are now shipped. Also in that order is a set of second revision display cables for the backlit mac portable. Here's hoping everything works. :)

Reactions: Alf Torp

3lectr1c

Active Tinkerer
May 15, 2022
the United States
www.macdat.net
The PowerBook 180c and 5300ce both come to mind - I hear the 180c's display cable is notoriously easy to break, especially if the hinges go out. The 5300ce is just because I've got one with a torn cable that I'd really like to get back up and running someday :)
Thank you for all you do for this community!

3lectr1c

LeadedSolder

New Tinkerer
Oct 27, 2021
Western Canada
www.leadedsolder.com
I do see a lot of broken PowerBook cables, and I’m scared of opening and closing my eMate, so this is a great service you’re providing. Do flex cables get dramatically cheaper with a larger quantity? They have always seemed very expensive in small shots.

One of my friends is also having trouble repairing the joystick membrane for an Odyssey2 joystick.

Could be an interesting departure - those machines are still surprisingly inexpensive despite the recent price hikes on everything else. Plus it comes with a keyboard, and you can get a game that teaches you machine language for it.

Androda

Staff member
Sep 25, 2021
USA, Western
androda.work
Thanks for the ideas and interest. The most important thing for me to note is that I can't recreate a cable without an original (and a damaged original is fine). Generally speaking the pinouts are not going to be available. And measurements often must be very exact.

If you have an original cable that needs recreation, please post a picture of it here and DM me about it.

Connector ends are of special importance because some connectors can't be found any more and have to be moved very carefully from old to new.

3lectr1c

Active Tinkerer
May 15, 2022
the United States
www.macdat.net
I can get you photos of the 5300ce, 5300c, 170, 145, 180c and 540c display cables if you need them. I’ll try to get some images of the 5300ce cable tomorrow. Connector is a bit weird on it though.

Androda

Staff member
Sep 25, 2021
USA, Western
androda.work
Tested the eMate display cable, and success! This eMate had a working display but wouldn't accept touch inputs. Now it does. :)

I also went through the process of fixing up the hinge so it shouldn't eat the display cable again. Fixing screen hinge tightness was pretty time consuming. If you can get the friction spring back onto the shaft of the hinge by hand, it's too loose. I had to use a set of "groove joint pliers" to squeeze the friction springs back on after the fix, that's how much force it took.

"fast orange" easily removed the old grease from the hinge, and then some synthetic brake slide lubricant was used when reassembling.

Looking for two people that are in the USA to test this in their busted eMates as additional confirmation. DM me if interested.

Attachments

• eMateDisplay_working.JPG
    eMateDisplay_working.JPG
    100.9 KB · Views: 74
  • eMateDisplay_hingeApart.JPG
    eMateDisplay_hingeApart.JPG
    251.7 KB · Views: 79

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
Next...upgrade the LCD to a color touchscreen and put a modern board, such as Raspberry Pi, to run System 7 or MacOS 8/9. :sneaky:

Is the eMate a better-constructed case than the PowerBook 1xx, 5xxx, and Duo 2xx? :unsure:

3lectr1c

Active Tinkerer
May 15, 2022
the United States
www.macdat.net
If you have an original cable that needs recreation, please post a picture of it here
I recently got around to removing the damaged cable from my 5300ce display, and it appears only 3 or 4 traces have been damaged by the tear. It would probably be fixable but I would need someone with an intact cable to do some continuity testing. It's pretty complicated as well, so I'm pretty sure recreating it would be a challenge. I can get some photos of it next week.