Looks like I've joined the NEXT Club, I Do Have Some Questions Though.

jajan547

Active Tinkerer
Mar 25, 2022
North Carolina, USA
Hello everyone, very excited to get my first Next machine it's something that I've wanted for a long time. Now I'm sure most of you have seen the listing on eBay for a NextStation Turbo missing all of the internal components except for the logic board and fan (or at least some of you might've). It's been up for quite a while and recently the seller and I struck a deal. The only reason I bought this machine in the condition it was in was because by coincidence another eBay seller had found new old stock power supplies and floppy drives for these machines, so like any computer fanatic I quickly bought two floppy drives (one as a spare) and a power supply. Of course I assume it's good practice to recap the logic board and the power supply which I will absolutely do. Now for the specifics, I have no mouse or keyboard for this machine, and I'm also missing the SCSI HDD plate. The machine has ROM version 71 (A quick search told me 74 is preferred). My issues and main questions here are; #1 Are Apple Macintosh ADB keyboards and mice compatible with this machine and if so how? #2 Where do I find a replacement HDD Bracket, I will be using a BlueSCSI in this machine but I would like to have the bracket necessary (I can even 3D print a bracket if someone has the .stl)? #3 As far as upgrading the ROM goes what chip is compatible and where do I find the 74 .bin Version I hear about and can I program that image onto said chip with a tl866 ii Plus? #4 How many of this particular machine were made, if anyone knows? #5 I have no RAM for this machine can it use typical RAM found in say something like a LC475? Lastly, #6 Can I use my typical Apple CRT Monitor with DB19 Connection to connect to this machine? I appreciate everyone looking at this and offering any tips or insight, I'm also open for any trades or items be it mice, software, peripherals, or keyboards for this machine. I've also attached photos below of what I have coming, power supplies and floppy drives at this time appear to still be available (these are sellers photos).

s-l1600-44.jpg
s-l1600-45.jpg
s-l1600-41.jpg
s-l1600-47.jpg
s-l1600-46.jpg
s-l1600-39.jpg

s-l1600-40.jpg
s-l1600-43.jpg
s-l1600-35.jpg

s-l1600-36.jpg
s-l1600-37.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: wottle

Paolo B

Tinkerer
Nov 27, 2021
Nagoya, Japan
#1 Are Apple Macintosh ADB keyboards and mice compatible with this machine and if so how?

You need a Turbo chipset and Rom v.74 as minimum.
Additionally, a MegaPixel Display N4000B or a Soundbox N4004A. And a specific ADB cable.

#2 Where do I find a replacement HDD Bracket, I will be using a BlueSCSI in this machine but I would like to have the bracket necessary (I can even 3D print a bracket if someone has the .stl)?

Just use some standoffs.

#3 As far as upgrading the ROM goes what chip is compatible and where do I find the 74 .bin Version I hear about and can I program that image onto said chip with a tl866 ii Plus?

No clue. But I’m not sure you want to get to this far.

#4 How many of this particular machine were made, if anyone knows?

Not so many. I’d guess some 10k units (maximum).

#5 I have no RAM for this machine can it use typical RAM found in say something like a LC475? Lastly,

70 to 100 nano seconds.

#6 Can I use my typical Apple CRT Monitor with DB19 Connection to connect to this machine?

Here’s the big one. You absolutely need a NeXT Display, as it doubles as a hub for attaching the keyboard and the mouse.
They are rare, expensive, big, heavy, usually in very bad shape due to aging CRT.

Other options.
1) source somewhere an ADB soundbox board and tweak it for VGA compatibility (I did it: it works, but it’s tricky and expensive)
2) There are modern day soundbox replacements. Released in small batches, though. All of them immediately sold out.

If you are serious about your black hardware, the place to look at is BlackHole Inc.
Utterly professional and highly recommended. But get ready, as black hardware doesn’t come for cheap.

Paolo B

Tinkerer
Nov 27, 2021
Nagoya, Japan
Sorry, I forgot… you also need a super rare hence expensive DB19 monitor cable. That one can be even fabricated in house, at least as long as you are able to source the DB 19 connectors.
Anyhow, NeXT hardware is terribly fascinating, I must admit I squandered embarrassing amount of money and time after it… So, good luck!

jajan547

Active Tinkerer
Mar 25, 2022
North Carolina, USA
Oh I’m sure and yes I did know that I’ve found everything I need even monitor for $540 just gonna wait until middle or start of next month to shell out and get everything.

Reactions: Paolo B

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
Hey @jajan547! Congratulations on nabbing the NeXTstation Turbo (model 1100) from the early 1990s. That was one of Steve Jobs' pet projects. :) Oh, I found an advertisement for that.

1659519625453.png

Last edited:

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
Here is the brochure with some information on the NeXTstation Turbo and the PDF file.

1659520179836.png
1659520248927.png
1659520296807.png
1659520370473.png

Attachments

• nextstation.pdf
    307.7 KB · Views: 55

JdM74

New Tinkerer
Jan 16, 2024
Georgetown TX
Taken from another post on the subject of displays...

There are a couple of options out there in the wild for using non-period-specific VGA displays [that support SoG] with NeXT hardware.

First, from DrakWare - the NeXTBox. With no sound support, it'll let you plug the standard NeXT cable that goes into a MegaPixel display in and an ADB or non-ADB keyboard. Currently sold out, sells for $100. My understanding is they'll start producing more of these this month. I'm going to get a couple for one Slab and Cube.

The other, which is the more elegant solution and a bit more costly -- the nuIO board. Produced by a member of the nextcomputers.org forums, this is a near replica of the board found in the NeXT Soundbox, which incidentally is the same board that's used in the MegaPixel display to connect keyboard and other bits into. The difference with the nuIO board, is that it has a VGA connector built into it, so you don't need an expensive Y-cable to go from the computer to the 'soundbox board' to the VGA display. However, you do need to have some form of powered speakers attached to this board for sound. These are available from Black Hole, Inc. and are available in limited quantities and runs. There are also options for cases [used with Slabs or Cubes] and internal mounting brackets [for Cubes only].

On a side note...I mentioned non-period-specific LCD displays....I had an idea, which I'm going to try once I get the nuIO boards I ordered...I have a Dell 1704FP [17" display, that supports SoG] and the shell of a MegaPixel display, without stand [found in good condition for a decent price]. IF the nuIO board connection allows for the right mix of display visibility [resolution really, since the NeXT uses an odd resolution] and the picture falls within the same frame as the MegaPixel shell, to mount the LCD display in the shell and fashion up a stand so it looks near-dead-on to the original. That should be fun, if it works out rightly.