Mac 128K Logic Board (Fault Finding)

Stephen

BetterBit
Staff member
Founder
Sep 5, 2021
San Francisco
I purchased this Mac 128k logic board knowing it wasn't working. I've poked at it a little over the last 6 months, which includes:
  • Building a 4164 DRAM tester and testing the original DRAM. I found 2 were faulty but ended up replacing them all.
  • Swapping the LS166 @ F14 & F15 (example board image for reference)
  • Swapping in known good ROMs from a 512k and Plus, as well as swapping these ROMs to a Plus
Currently the logic board is booted from an external ATX power supply and video is captured with a RGBtoHDMI.

I can get the following pattern:
128k_video_out.gif

This gif is on loop and demonstrates a manual "power on" and "power off" cycle by providing power through the PSU.

I also confirmed in a compact mac that this logic board produces the same result in its corporeal form:
Screen Shot 2021-10-30 at 4.31.56 PM.png

Does anyone have any suggestions? I checked the oscillator and it looks like it's within range.

Screen Shot 2021-10-30 at 4.33.53 PM.png

Reactions: Kay K.M.Mods

RetroViator

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
retroviator.com
I'm curious about the processor. Perhaps if you poke around with your oscilloscope, you can see if it's running correctly compared to another 68k. If a pin that should have data (such as from the address bus) is stuck high or low, it could be a problem with the processor or whatever is feeding that pin. It might give you some more information to track down.

Stephen

BetterBit
Staff member
Founder
Sep 5, 2021
San Francisco
Does this 1000 foot view show anything unusual?

1643067213902.png

Note
  • For pins with a voltage range (e.g., BG) the values represent the lower and upper fluctuating voltage.
  • For pins with a frequency range (e.g., D1) the values represent fluctuations typical fluctuations observed over a ~5 second window.
I thought it was a bit unusual that A21 and A20 are not showing fluctuations, like they're pulled high. I'm not sure if this or any of the other records are normal — please be sure to call out anything that seems strange!