MAC SE/30 CRT problem

pat665

New Tinkerer
Oct 31, 2021
France, Montpellier
Hi
This is my first post here.

I've just get a Macintosh SE/30 with a CRT problem, hoping it can be fixed.
Is there a dedicated resource, blog, Youtube, that could help fix such a problem ?

This is the problem (image).

MacSE30-CRT.png

Best regards
Patrick

pfuentes69

Active Tinkerer
Oct 27, 2021
Switzerland
Hello,
Your CRT seems fine, this seems to be a problem known as "Simasimac" (Google for it). Sometimes is related to the RAM, so my first try would be to remove all the SIMMs and test it with known working RAM. If not, just install what you have again, maybe trying to fill only one bank of memory.
But it can also (quite likely) mean that your logic board needs recapping.
Good luck!
Pedro

JTRetro

New Tinkerer
Nov 3, 2021
@pat665 -I second the recapping. In my experience, that-unfortunately- is usually the problem, or part of it anyways. But recapping the board will give you some great experience with a soldering iron!

Patrick

Tinkerer
Oct 26, 2021
lots of people on this board have xp with soldering. and youtube videos to show you how. So you are in the right place! welcome to the board!

Be sure to post back with updates and questions. Would love to see that computer working.

RetroTheory

Tinkerer
Oct 17, 2021
Also have a look at your ROM SIMM. sometimes it needs to be reseated or pressured to make contact properly. 100% SE/30s need to be recapped but sometimes no ROM can show this.

pat665

New Tinkerer
Oct 31, 2021
France, Montpellier
Thank you all for the good advices. I've just received the beast. It looked better on the picture ! I did not plugged it because the power socket is twisted in the back. I'll have to open it before in order to evaluate the damages.
I'll post pictures.
Fortunately I have a Mac SE in pretty good shape so I can spend time with it playing with Hypercard meanwhile.

À bientôt (I'm french)
patrick

Reactions: Ubik and pfuentes69

pfuentes69

Active Tinkerer
Oct 27, 2021
Switzerland
Thank you all for the good advices. I've just received the beast. It looked better on the picture ! I did not plugged it because the power socket is twisted in the back. I'll have to open it before in order to evaluate the damages.
I'll post pictures.
Fortunately I have a Mac SE in pretty good shape so I can spend time with it playing with Hypercard meanwhile.

À bientôt (I'm french)
patrick

Keep up posted. Resurrecting an SE/30 is always a nice thing to see.

Salutations depuis la Suisse romande!

fehervaria

Tinkerer
Sep 23, 2021
North Germany
Hi
This is my first post here.

I've just get a Macintosh SE/30 with a CRT problem, hoping it can be fixed.
Is there a dedicated resource, blog, Youtube, that could help fix such a problem ?

This is the problem (image).

View attachment 1903

Best regards
Patrick
Prepare yourself for a recaping session, there are plenty of information about the needed capacitors and YT videos as well. (eg: @Branchus ). But also prepare to check the traces on your Logic Board.
I posted about my SE/30 repair, and there are lot of information collected:
here and here

I hope it helps to rescue your SE/30

pat665

New Tinkerer
Oct 31, 2021
France, Montpellier
The beast has been opened and fixing it will be more than a recap. The battery leaked and corroded many things.
IMG_7436.JPG

This part seems very very bad.

IMG_7428(1).JPG

I don't think I have the skills to repair it.

At this point, my priority would be to stop the corrosion, cleaning the motherboard to prevent further damages. Eventually I will come back to it when I will have more free time.

Any advice on that ?

--
Merci à tous pour vos conseils
Patrick

joethezombie

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
Idaho
Ouch. My opinion, a repair attempt on that is not going to end well. The capacitor damage alone looks bad, without even looking at the battery nightmare. Unless you are looking for an intense personal challenge, I'd lift the proprietary chips for use on other repairs or perhaps on a recreation board.

nekogahora280

New Tinkerer
Oct 17, 2021
Let me tell you about my Mac screen.
I think it will be cured if you replace the chip on the board.
However, I have no idea which tip should be replaced.
There is a floppy mark on the screen, so it seems to be cured. Do you have any opinions?

Attachments

• IMG_0200.jpeg
    IMG_0200.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 66

Patrick

Tinkerer
Oct 26, 2021
I searched and i can't seem to find the thread. But somebody on here documented their restoration of a Macintosh SE they found. I don't think it had a battery exploded, but it was fairly rusty. Even if you used it just to clean up your board, it might be useful. It had LOTS of photo's. Maybe somebody else has a link to it?

But yeah, it seems like a good idea would be to try to get the board clean to stop any further decay.

fehervaria

Tinkerer
Sep 23, 2021
North Germany
I searched and i can't seem to find the thread. But somebody on here documented their restoration of a Macintosh SE they found. I don't think it had a battery exploded, but it was fairly rusty. Even if you used it just to clean up your board, it might be useful. It had LOTS of photo's. Maybe somebody else has a link to it?

But yeah, it seems like a good idea would be to try to get the board clean to stop any further decay.
This is it:
Restoration of a water damaged SE

Kai Robinson

TinkerDifferent Board President 2023
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Worthing, UK
I also think you have a good enough board to migrate the working parts. Try and clean it up as best you can, the RTC looks like it might be saveable.

JTRetro

New Tinkerer
Nov 3, 2021
Ugg, looks like your board had the dreaded Maxell battery explosion! Like others have said the first thing to do is give the board a good cleaning. For something like this, I would use denatured alcohol (available at any hardware store) and a toothbrush.

Then check your traces. As long as they are intact (or only a few of them are damaged) you should be able to repair the board, although it will be a slow process! Looks like you'll be doing a recap and replacing some chips.

pat665

New Tinkerer
Oct 31, 2021
France, Montpellier
Hi and happy new year to all of you.

I had finally some free time to clean the board as best as I could. I've used WD40 to deal with the rust, then soap and brush and a couple of hours in vinegar. During the process this little piece detached. I don't know its purpose and if it's replaceable.
IMG_7486.JPG
There are still some spots of rust covering the traces. They resists the brushing. I'm looking for a way to dissolve them. I'm afraid any mechanical attempt to remove them will damage the traces. Same with the RAM bank.
AfterCleaning.png

I've also found this article about building a new motherboard. It could be another way to get the beast running again.
Mac SE/30 motherboard

Thanks for all the support and happy 2022 to all
--
patrick

Kai Robinson

TinkerDifferent Board President 2023
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Worthing, UK
Ooof. That's a lot of damage, it might take a lot to patch that, especially the via damage by UJ3 - you might find it easier to migrate the parts to a new Bolle SE/30 board.

The part that fell off is a 200ohm Resistor network, iirc used for pullups. The rom simm socket is, to my eye, too damaged to salvage. However, you can still get these.

You'll need at least some 74F258's as well.

I recommend if you want to patch it, ultrasonic cleaning is about the only way forwards, but I'd still give it a scrub with a toothbrush and some more vinegar.