MacBook Air Mid-2013

bwicklund

New Tinkerer
Nov 24, 2021
My wife just upgrade to a new MacBook Air M1, and now I have her old MacBook Air Mid-2013 i7 1.7GHZ, 8GB of RAM, Intel HD Graphics 5000 1.5GB.

I noticed that Apple has capped it to BigSur. Has anyone successfully upgrading one (or equivalent) to macOS Monterey?
If so how is it running, and how did you do the upgrade?

Interested to hear people's experiences.

bwicklund

New Tinkerer
Nov 24, 2021
Just want to keep it as current as I possibly can. Plus when I am on a Mac I use Safari and want the latest version.

Reactions: KingDingus

AdeptRapier

New Tinkerer
Jan 16, 2022
"Just want to keep it as current as I possibly can. Plus when I am on a Mac I use Safari and want the latest version."

You might consider switching to open source supported programs instead of only upgrading your OS because of Safari being outdated. I've been switching over to Firefox and Thunderbird for my browsing and e-mail client so I don't have to worry about forced obsolescence from Apple on my older Macs.

Just my 2 cents...

Reactions: skate323k137

BPearce

New Tinkerer
May 9, 2022
Knowing full well what I could be getting into (and maintaining a backup and having most of my working files originate on Dropbox) I installed macOS 12 with OpenCore on my MacBook Air Mid-2013 (1.7 i7, 8GB RAM), which sees consistent daily use. The process was surprisingly easy, and I've had almost no trouble.

I did see a well-known error (“Volume Hash Mismatch”), and a brief incident of instability that led me to try to erase and reinstall, and then restore my data. “Volume Hash Mismatch” still pops up every so often, but usually only after I restart (and I rarely do that). Apart from that, it's been without issue.

I wouldn't recommend this to everyone (I think my having upgraded at time of purchase to the better processor and additional RAM has paid off through the years), but if you know what you're doing and are willing to accept the risk? Sure, why not.

rikerjoe

Tinkerer
Oct 31, 2021
I’ve seen the same “Volume Hash Mismatch” on my MacBook Air 2014 running OCLP and the various releases of Monterey, under the same conditions you cited (after a reboot). So far, I’ve just ignored it. I haven’t seen any references elsewhere that talk about this message. What do you think @The House of Moth ?

BPearce

New Tinkerer
May 9, 2022
Research suggested that this was an error message that was turning up on some supported Macs, as well, when macOS 12 has been installed.