Macintosh IIci Logicboard recreation

max1zzz

Staff member
Sep 23, 2021
Something I have been working on recently:
1704567603534.png

1704567624504.png

It's a near 1:1 reproduction with some minor rerouting where this made sense.

Boards are on order, should be here in a couple of weeks

Not much more to say (other than thanks to @Kai Robinson for providing the donor board I used) you have all seen this before :)

max1zzz

Staff member
Sep 23, 2021
Board has been assembled and.....

Booted almost the first time, I made two small assembly errors (swapped two transistors and rotated a 26LS30 90 degrees form where it should be) and the crystal for the audio circuit was bad. No changes where made to the board to get it to boot :)

after a little more assembly:
IMG_3181.jpg

Boots from SCSI, ADB works, all 8 SIMM slots work. That'll do for today, will fully test the board tomorrow

max1zzz

Staff member
Sep 23, 2021
I had a quote back form PCBWay, $2300 for 5! yeah I think I'll pass on that. Will have to go for a normal colour.
So for those interested, what colour would you like? I will probably only do a single colour so I'll go with whichever is most popular

The boards have now been fully tested and work just fine :) Only issues with them where one slotID pin on one NuBus connector which was connected to ground when it should have been floating but that was noting a 1.5mm drill bit couldn't fix. Also the aliment holes for the interrupt / reset switches are missing along with one of the ones for the audio connector but these are not big issues as you can just snip them off
All will be corrected in the next revision

If anyone wants a board now I still have 2 board from the original test batch which I am happy to sell on at cost + shipping

Reactions: Patrick

max1zzz

Staff member
Sep 23, 2021
Was that just for plain PCBs or populated ones? My 50 SE/30 Reloaded board group buy batch came to about $3200, and that included the bottom and most of the top SMD parts populated.
Plain PCB's but that was for a black FR4 core, clear soldermask and a ENIG finish. PCBWay don't actually offer 4 layers on black FR4 as standard so it was a special order item. Was expecting it to be expansive but not quite that expensive!

max1zzz

Staff member
Sep 23, 2021
Yeah, guessing that black FR4 is either really expensive or they have to order a massive lot of it

Kai Robinson

TinkerDifferent Board President 2023
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Worthing, UK
What does jlcpcb quote for them with standard green, but ENIG finish instead of HASL?

max1zzz

Staff member
Sep 23, 2021
Purple with HASL was £75is so I would assume Green ENIG would be around £80-£85

max1zzz

Staff member
Sep 23, 2021
Right, Have made the necessary alterations to the board and am having a look at getting a run made
Purple seems to be the most popular colour so we will be going with that

Do you guys want them with the bottom birdseed PNP assembled? Doing some rough pricing you would probably be looking at £60 - £70 each with the birdseed PNP'd or around £30 - £40 each unasembled

Reactions: Patrick

This Does Not Compute

Active Tinkerer
Oct 27, 2021
www.youtube.com
Having the bottom side populated is, IMHO, the bare minimum -- the parts cost is negligible and if you do a sufficiently large production run then the setup costs are pretty low. The SE/30 Reloaded batch I had made also included some of the top-side SMD parts, and each board ended up costing $73 including shipping from JLCPCB. I'd recommend strongly considering populating as much of the top side as reasonable, especially since a decent number of the parts are still available and otherwise annoying to hand-solder. And for any PLCC chips, include sockets!

max1zzz

Staff member
Sep 23, 2021
Most people seem to want birdseed PNP'd so that looks like the route I will go down ;)
As much as I would like to get both sides PNP'd it's would probably cost more than I could afford to do that so it's gong to have to be bottom side only (Plus there is not actually that much that could be PNP'd on the top, it's just the tants and a handful of SOT23 transistiors / diodes, and I guess technically the off the shelf logic chips but those don't ever actually seem to be in stock with JLC)

Reactions: Patrick and alexADB

Callan

New Tinkerer
Feb 21, 2024
Houston, Tx
Any chance I can still get in on this order? I have a iici that's pretty rough (an even worse iicx if anyone has a spare one from a previous order)

max1zzz

Staff member
Sep 23, 2021
Any chance I can still get in on this order? I have a iici that's pretty rough (an even worse iicx if anyone has a spare one from a previous order)
I haven't sent the boards off for production yet so I'll add you to the list :)
I may also still have some IIcx boards, I'll have a look tomorrow and let you kow