Macintosh IIfx explosive RAM

Oct 18, 2021
Ohio, USA
thehouseofmoth.com
Currently in the process of fixing this and very curious, what could cause this in a RAM socket?
Whatever happened blew a hole straight through the board. Leaving one heck of a burn on the case even.
D5309548-E214-4881-9E60-B802E6B3E0E5.jpeg

Last edited:

trag

Tinkerer
Oct 25, 2021
The 64 pin SIMM socket was also used by Apple for ROM modules and, I think, by Amiga for another type of incompatible memory.

Guessing, someone installed something other than a IIfx SIMM in the socket and caused a dead short from 5V to GND.

Or something close to that.

I have a PM9600 board with a melted DIMM socket and a hole in it, where someone forced 3.3V memory into a 5V slot....

Nice restoration.

Kai Robinson

TinkerDifferent Board President 2023
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Worthing, UK
Might as well give a few updates on the repair :)
Removed part of the socket, cleaned some debris from the crater.
Pins 1 and 2 no longer exist, 3 is in rough shape. Some traces 2 layers down got destroyed.

Looks like someone shot a Xenomorph next to that IIfx!

giphy.gif

Oct 18, 2021
Ohio, USA
thehouseofmoth.com
The 64 pin SIMM socket was also used by Apple for ROM modules and, I think, by Amiga for another type of incompatible memory.

Guessing, someone installed something other than a IIfx SIMM in the socket and caused a dead short from 5V to GND.

Or something close to that.

I have a PM9600 board with a melted DIMM socket and a hole in it, where someone forced 3.3V memory into a 5V slot....

Nice restoration.
Hell of a whammy for just 5V but wrong SIMM is the most logical explanation, tnx!

Zane Kaminski

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 5, 2021
Columbus, Ohio, USA
Wow, this is an amazing repair. I usually tape down bodge wires against the board with kapton tape. I always thought that was a fairly low-profile solution. I had never considered laminating the repair into the board! Amazing... I have to try your technique of building up the mask goop next time I'm fixing a board with a hole in it.

Oct 18, 2021
Ohio, USA
thehouseofmoth.com
Wow, this is an amazing repair. I usually tape down bodge wires against the board with kapton tape. I always thought that was a fairly low-profile solution. I had never considered laminating the repair into the board! Amazing... I have to try your technique of building up the mask goop next time I'm fixing a board with a hole in it.
It’s fun and satisfying! Do share when you get around to it :)

trag

Tinkerer
Oct 25, 2021
A bunch more layers on top and the board is whole once again. The two ground pins will be drilled out once the replacement sockets come in or I may just run a wire from the legs to the ground, we'll see.
Would you mind linking to the product you're using to build up mask layer? And is it a UV cure or a two component mask?

That sounds like mighty useful stuff.

Oct 18, 2021
Ohio, USA
thehouseofmoth.com
Sure thing!
I get the UV curing mask from amazon or ebay, whichever has the best price at the time and brands vary.

Green for the vintage stuff: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MUB4PJL

Black for the modern stuff: https://www.ebay.com/itm/PREMIUM-BL...d-UV-Curable-Curing-Solder-Mask-/282637383153

Laser pen to cure it quickly: https://www.ebay.com/itm/UV-Glue-Cu...Laser-Ultraviolet-405nm-Pointer-/132809688246

Note: The black mask takes considerably longer to cure and must be applied much thinner so the UV can penetrate all the way. I also recommend wearing UV blocking glasses unless you're watching your work on a screen through a camera.

Last edited:

GiGaBiTe

Tinkerer
Feb 6, 2022
I've had DIMM memory modules get shorted RAM chips that burn pins out in the RAM socket, but never seen one blow a hole in a PCB.

I guess the thicker pins in a SIMM socket facilitate more current being able to pass through the board.