Macintosh LCIII start up failure

J.Stock

New Tinkerer
Aug 6, 2023
I’ve got a dead Macintosh LCIII at home. It still turns on but it doesn’t boot up. The fan and hard drive both switch on and start spinning around however nothing else seems to operate. The crystal timers in the machine are receiving between 0.40 - 0.10 volts of power.

There are no capacitors that are damaged or leaking in the computer tower. I’ve also checked the power supply and there are no leaking or damaged capacitors in the power supply. In-fact everything looks just fine. Someone running a computer store told me that there could be an issue with the microchip processor (VLSI chip) in the computer.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    930.1 KB · Views: 41
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    832.5 KB · Views: 42

Elemenoh

Active Tinkerer
Oct 18, 2021
Bay Area
Can you share some good photos of your logic board? Even if you're not seeing obvious signs, the caps may have leaked onto other components, causing a short. Replacing them alone might not solve your problem. You might have to clean the board thoroughly and potentially repair broken traces.

Have you measured the voltage rails with a multimeter? It'd be good to know if you're getting a solid +5/+12 V at the hard drive connector. Ideally you'd recap the PSU regardless, but if the rails check out okay you can at least more confidently rule out the PSU as a problem.

Volvo242GT

Tinkerer
Feb 7, 2022
Currently Duvall, WA
Sounds a lot like what user c00gr on the 68kMLA is experiencing with his LCIII...