Macintosh LCIII

Keith

New Tinkerer
Nov 8, 2021
New Jersey
I had a great package waiting for me on my porch last night.

Found an LC III on Mercari for $40 + $30 shipping a week ago and decided to take the plunge.

IMG_1809.jpeg

The sticker from Goodwill says it was $7.99... Oh how I wish that's what I paid for it.

IMG_1808.jpeg

IMG_1810.jpeg

IMG_1811.jpeg

No hard drive, the caps have just started leaking a touch but doesn't look like they've done any serious damage yet. I have a full kit of caps for both the motherboard and power supply arriving in a few days from Mouser. I'll probably desolder the caps today or tomorrow and give the board a serious wash in the sink.

Fortunately the battery was replaced at some point in the later 90's so it didn't bomb the board as well! I wasn't going to buy it without seeing the board and fortunately the seller had opened it and taken a photo of it. Especially since there's a Performa 450 on eBay right now that looks like this:
s-l1600.jpg

This is my first pizza box and I'm super stoked. I love the 68030 and 68040 machines so much. Originally I thought I was just going to buy this, recap it, and then sell it but as soon as I took it out of the box I knew that it's going to be very difficult for me to part with.

Part of me really wants to power it up but I know better and should just wait until I get my caps...

eric

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 2, 2021
MN
scsi.blue
I love the LCIII's - While you're recapping you should consider doing the LCIII+ mod to it to overclock it to 33mhz - Just squeeze a bit more out of that 030 - http://www.applefool.com/clockchipping/lciii.html

Just wait for the caps :) I usually remove the old ones and clean while I wait so I'm not tempted haha.

Also may be worth checking the PSU - I've had to recap most of the LC1/2/3 PSU's I've came across. Get my kits for those from console5.

Keith

New Tinkerer
Nov 8, 2021
New Jersey
I love the LCIII's - While you're recapping you should consider doing the LCIII+ mod to it to overclock it to 33mhz - Just squeeze a bit more out of that 030 - http://www.applefool.com/clockchipping/lciii.html

Just wait for the caps :) I usually remove the old ones and clean while I wait so I'm not tempted haha.

Also may be worth checking the PSU - I've had to recap most of the LC1/2/3 PSU's I've came across. Get my kits for those from console5.

Someone on 68kmla suggested I overclock it as well and I am absolutely going to do that mod. 25 to 33mhz is a nice little spec jump. I just want to wait until I can confirm that it actually boots after the recap.

Following Recap-a-Mac's LC Power Supply Guide I bought all the caps for the power supply as well, except for the 180µF 385WV capacitor since Mouser didn't have any in stock... And at least according to them I won't need to replace it. We'll see though. I may end up having to pay $7 in shipping just for a single cap o_O

I'm just hoping that this power supply recap goes better than my IIsi. Pretty sure that Sony power supply is far too gone to actually get working.

Keith

New Tinkerer
Nov 8, 2021
New Jersey
Welp, this sucks.

Two capacitors had their traces lift completely up while desoldering (C5 and C18). Looks like I'll be able to bodge a bit and get it working, but this was definitely not ideal.

Any advice appreciated.

IMG_1818.jpeg

IMG_1817.jpeg

Drake

TinkerDifferent Board Vice-President 2023
Staff member
Sep 23, 2021
They look pretty straight forward for bodges, I will add one thing though. Scrape the green corrosion under the mask that has seeped into the ground plane as it will only worsen/travel.

Keith

New Tinkerer
Nov 8, 2021
New Jersey
They look pretty straight forward for bodges, I will add one thing though. Scrape the green corrosion under the mask that has seeped into the ground plane as it will only worsen/travel.

Ah yes I will absolutely do that! Thank you