Macintosh Plus Display vertically compressed

keelus

New Tinkerer
Jan 5, 2023
Hello! I've been working on my Mac Plus for a month and I got this issue out of nowhere.
IMG_6303.jpeg

(The diagonal lines are from the camera)
As you can see, the display is very compressed vertically, strange display resolution. I tried adjusting the height potentiometer, but it's maxed out, if i turn it in the other way, it goes even more compressed.
This is what I have done to this Mac Plus so far:
  • For other issues I had (no display, clicking, and sad mac):
    • I replaced these electrolytic capacitors for brand new ones: C2,C3,C6,C7,C10,C12,C18,C24,C27,C28,C30,C31,C32,C34,C35,C38,C39,C42,C45.
    • I replaced the U3 optocoupler for a 4N35.
    • Brand new RAM (x4 256k)
  • Trying to fix this issue:
    • LM324N - Brand new
    • Q3 (2N4401) - Brand new
    • Q6 (2N4401) - Brand new
    • Q4 (MPSU51) - Brand new
    • CR15 - Brand new
I need help to fix this. Does anyone went throught this problem/know what could be causing it?
Also (might be a dumb question), if I buy a different potentiometer to control the height, could I make it stretch a lot so it matches the correct vertical height?
Any kind of help or suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks for your time,

keelus

lilliputian

Tinkerer
Mar 6, 2022
Los Angeles, California, USA
While the Dead Mac Scrolls doesn't seem to describe your specific situation, it is at least similar to a couple from what I saw. Unfortunately, the remedies for those suggest replacing the flyback...

keelus

New Tinkerer
Jan 5, 2023
How could I test if the flyback is bad? The resistors and diodes controlling the vertical deflection work as they should.

keelus

New Tinkerer
Jan 5, 2023
Sadly I don’t have one that’s known good. And from what I have seen, new ones are very expensive. Will try resoldering the flyback joints and see if that helps…

• Sad
Reactions: lilliputian