Macintosh SE Motherboard Photos wanted

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
Hello, friends. I am in the middle of editing Part I of my @Kai Robinson SE Reloaded video, and I am trying to find high resolution, top-down photos of the SE motherboard and chip sets that are different from mine. Here's a high resolution (20 megapixel) photo of mine, which is revision 820-0250-A...

SE_Board_NEW_820-0250-A_OldROMs.jpg

Note that there are 2 SE logic board revisions:

OLD: 820-0176-B (1986), 630-4125
NEW: 820-0250-A (1988), 630-4250 (the one I have)

@Branchus has a wonderful top-down photo of the OLD 820-0176-B board, but unfortunately it has 2 non-stock mods: (1) button cell PRAM battery and (2) a RAM selection jumper board soldered in place of the stock resistors. I am seeking a high resolution, top-down photo of a fully stock 820-0176-B board without any mods, and without the RAM SIMMs installed.

I also don't have a photo of the 1.44MB-compatible FDHD model chips which are typically found in the newer 820-0250-A boards:

342-0701 HI ROM
342-0702 LO ROM
344-0062 SWIM

Despite the fact my SE board is the newer 820-0250-A revision, it has the old 800K-drive compatible chips in it:

342-0352-A HI ROM
342-0353-A LO ROM
344-0043-A IWM

So to recap, I'm seeking these 2 high resolution top-down photos:

1) 820-0176-B board with no mods and no RAM installed
2) The newer chipset trio (342-0701, 342-0702 & 344-0062) mounted on either board revision (since I can Photoshop the chips onto my board photo if necessary)

Can anyone help me out with this?

I will of course credit the contributor(s) by name (or however you prefer) in my video. I just want to show people the two SE boards with their stock chipsets.

Thank you!

Kai Robinson

TinkerDifferent Board President 2023
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Worthing, UK
I think i have the older board - it was a New-old-stock one that i used for reference. Not sure if the photo's i take will be great though :p

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
I think i have the older board - it was a New-old-stock one that i used for reference. Not sure if the photo's i take will be great though :p
A hi-rez, top-down photo of that older unmodded board would be great, Kai. Thank you. Not sure how @Branchus took his great photo, but in my case, I put my camera on a tripod and faced the lens straight down. I extended my tripod to be fairly tall so I could put distance between the lens and the motherboard, then I zoomed in with my zoom lens to fill most of the frame with the board. Not only does that maximize the resolution, but it mostly eliminates any lens distortion too. Lighting was just your standard overhead fluorescent room lighting that any office has, since I shot it at work after hours when no one was there. The fluorescent lights mostly eliminate shadows. I shot it very slightly at an angle to prevent my camera from casting a shadow on the board, and then I used Photoshop to make slightly adjustments so all 4 edges of the board look perfectly straight.

Also, if you have the newer chipset (I don't), I would love to obtain a photo of those chips as well (top down), with as little lens distortion as possible. What I can then do is mask out the body of those chips and put them on the chips in my photo. The end result will then be that my newer edition board (the one you kindly shipped to me by the way) will also show the newer chipset that is the stock configuration.

But if you don't have the newer chipset, then maybe Bruce or Mac84 or someone else reading this thread might. For example, here's a really bad photo of those newer chips that I found by Googling...

1652130203469.png

It's bad because (1) it's low resolution and (2) it was taken too much at an angle such that you can't even see the pins on the other side of each chip.

Thanks!

Branchus

Tinker Different Public Relations Liaison 2023
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
My apologies @JDW, I had a look around but only have Rev. A boards here at the moment.

Reactions: JDW

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
@Branchus Thank you for kindly checking! I certainly appreciate your time.

@chrisangellis Although the RAM SIMMs are installed in your old version board, I can see the RAM configuration resistors, so I believe I will be able to use that. Here's how it looks after a few edits...

820-0176-B_Edited.jpg

@rikerjoe Thank you for posting the photo, but I'm afraid the resolution is much too low for me to use. For example, it's impossible to read chip markings.

@RetroJack You have the newer chipset that I am after, but some of the markings are a tad blurred. Could I trouble you to reshoot only the area of the 3 chips, so as to boost the resolution? (Please don't boost the digital resolution, as I can do that.) Here's an example of the area I am talking about...

1652149305016.png

MacMaster

New Tinkerer
Nov 1, 2021
This is my 820-0176-B board. I reversed a couple things for the photo to look more stock: I had clipped R35 on one side for a 4MB upgrade so I scooted it back over so it would look connected. I also pulled the Varta battery out previously so I just set it back on the board (I keep all my old Mac batteries quarantined in an ice cube tray to see if any will eventually explode :))

Attachments

• 820-0176-B.jpeg
    820-0176-B.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 72

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
This is my 820-0176-B board. I reversed a couple things for the photo to look more stock: I had clipped R35 on one side for a 4MB upgrade so I scooted it back over so it would look connected. I also pulled the Varta battery out previously so I just set it back on the board (I keep all my old Mac batteries quarantined in an ice cube tray to see if any will eventually explode :))
Now that board and photo are pretty amazing. No RAM makes it easy to see the resistors used to set RAM size. I love the old soldered battery type! A truly well-shot photo without pretty much no distortion! I've color corrected and sharpened it, as well as cut out the background, which you can see here:

820-0176-B_Nice.jpg

So in terms of the OLD revision board, I will go with that photo and credit @MacMaster in my video for the photo.

The only other thing I need is a high resolution shot of the 3 newer chips, either from @RetroJack or from someone else. My intention will be to mask out the part numbers (and chip bodies if they look nice) and Photoshop that on my own newer-revision motherboard photo. That will help me show people what a new edition motherboard looks like (new board, new ROMs and new SWIM chip).

Thanks!

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
Friends,

I wish to thank each of you who kindly contributed photos. I now have what exactly I need...

Old SE Board 820-0176-B, with Old ROMs, Old IWM (thanks to @MacMaster for the board photo):
820-0176-B_MacMaster.jpg
(I added color corrections and sharpening only.)

New SE Board 820-0250-A, New ROMs, New SWIM (thanks to @RetroJack for the chip trio photo) :
SE_Board_New_Top.jpg
(I masked the bodies of the 3 chips onto my motherboard photo — board provided to me by @Kai Robinson.)

In my forthcoming video, I will credit the two aforementioned individuals and also link to this thread as thanks to everyone else.

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
Weird My A revision has chips that more closely resemble the B but not quite the same completely.
While I won't use it in my video, for the sake of reference, I would appreciate seeing a clear photo of what you have. You have me curious! :)

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
Sure thing here you are.
Very interesting. You have the newest revision 820-0250-A motherboard with the older ROMs and older IWM chip. Makes me curious what percentage of newer edition "A" boards Apple shipped with the older edition chipset trio.

I've also noted that your LO ROM is 344-0041-B, which I guess is older than 344-0043-A insofar as 41 is smaller than 43. Regardless, the floppy drive functionality would be the same, restricting you to 800K drives only (not the 1.44MB drives). But the upside to the older ROMs is that you should be able to boot System 4.0 & Finder 5.4 (i.e., pre-System 6), whereas the newer edition ROMs require System 6.0.3 minimum.

jajan547

Active Tinkerer
Mar 25, 2022
North Carolina, USA
Very interesting. You have the newest revision 820-0250-A motherboard with the older ROMs and older IWM chip. Makes me curious what percentage of newer edition "A" boards Apple shipped with the older edition chipset trio.

I've also noted that your LO ROM is 344-0041-B, which I guess is older than 344-0043-A insofar as 41 is smaller than 43. Regardless, the floppy drive functionality would be the same, restricting you to 800K drives only (not the 1.44MB drives). But the upside to the older ROMs is that you should be able to boot System 4.0 & Finder 5.4 (i.e., pre-System 6), whereas the newer edition ROMs require System 6.0.3 minimum.
I guess this is an Early later revision and they just threw parts at it.

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
It probably is the case that the August 1989 revision of the SE which introduced the 1.44MB "SuperDrive" included a mere ROM and SWIM upgrade, not the motherboard upgrade. In other words, I am guessing that the 820-0250-A motherboard came out prior to August '89. That makes sense because the copyright date on that edition board is 1988.