Macintosh SE Reloaded project

roymaya

New Tinkerer
Aug 17, 2022
After watching JDW's SE reloaded videos on Youtube, I decided to give it a try. It seemed like something fun to do. I bought a non-working Mac SE Superdrive locally for $30 and assessed the damage. Not surprisingly, the usual damage like the battery exploding had occurred. This was the perfect candidate for a Reloaded logic board. I've desoldered most of the salvageable chips and sockets. I love desoldering, so I had a blast removing the PDS, BBU, IC and SIMM sockets. I could only salvage 1 of the ROMS so I've ordered new ones from @max1zzz. I also needed a couple of Bourn filters which I was able to acquire from @alxlab. Here are a couple of pics of the original logic board with and without the components. I'm looking forward to hopefully getting a working Mac SE after the build is complete. Let's hope I don't botch this up. 😁

Attachments

• Mac SE - original board.jpg
    Mac SE - original board.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 64
  • Mac SE - components removed.jpg
    Mac SE - components removed.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 65
  • Mac SE components.jpg
    Mac SE components.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 65

Kai Robinson

TinkerDifferent Board President 2023
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Worthing, UK
Would be worthwhile just replacing the SIMM sockets outright for new ones from PE Connectors - the original ones with the plastic latches are a bit crap after so many years - you'll be thankful to install new stuff where possible ;)

roymaya

New Tinkerer
Aug 17, 2022
Would be worthwhile just replacing the SIMM sockets outright for new ones from PE Connectors - the original ones with the plastic latches are a bit crap after so many years - you'll be thankful to install new stuff where possible ;)
You're probably right, Kai. Unfortunately, I already received my component order so these SIMM sockets will have to do for now. If they break I can always replace them. 😂

Reactions: retr01

roymaya

New Tinkerer
Aug 17, 2022
Finally starting populating the new logic board. I have to say I really like the board in red (purchased from Maceffects). I know there were some discussions about people not liking the red but I think it stands out nicely.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-25 at 12.46.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-25 at 12.46.16 PM.png
    891.6 KB · Views: 61

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
Finally starting populating the new logic board. I have to say I really like the board in red (purchased from Maceffects). I know there were some discussions about people not liking the red but I think it stands out nicely.
Just wanted to follow-up to ask if (1) you completed your build and (2) if everything worked okay when finished?