Macintosh TV CRT replacement

wottle

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
Fort Mill, SC
So, I decided to keep the quirky platinum doors from the Mac TV to keep it original. And I was reading up on the black Mac SE/30 and realized that the real life version was platinum, and it was only black when they recreated it for the Watchmen movie. So I think I'm going to leave my spare SE case platinum for now.

However, I realize I had a Powermac 5400 that I messed up on one of my first attempts at retrobrighting (NEVER use the plastic wrap technique in the sun! However I do use the plastic wrap technique every time with my UC light box). It was splotchy and looked pretty bad. I also have always wanted one of those black Director editions of the 5400.

iu

So, I bought a couple cans of the vinyl and carpet paint, disassembled it, popped out the Apple logo, taped off a few areas I didn't want to pain (the IR sensor and the LED in the front panel). I removed the stickers for the model number and the Apple sticker on the back. Hoping they'll reapply well.

I'll post pictures when it's dried and I've reassembled. I can reuse the keyboard and mouse from the Mac TV, although I'd love to have a second set. I can make my own mouse, but the keyboard will be difficult because of the letter on the keys and keyboard itself.

Reactions: Mac84 and retr01

Certificate of Excellence

Active Tinkerer
Nov 1, 2021
United Sates
Don’t get me wrong, I would absolutely do this if I was single & it would be awesome but there lies the crux; as a married man, a single man is absolutely what I’d be if I were to proceed with such shenanigans.

• Haha
Reactions: wottle

wottle

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
Fort Mill, SC
Wow! It's hard to believe this is painted...

Was this the same type of paint you used on the mouse? 😮
Yes, I used the Duplicolor Flat Black Vinyl and Carpet paint from the auto parts store again. I picked the vinyl paint because it purportedly is a bit flexible and would be better for the cables. But it seemed to do really well on the hard plastics and the finish is a very close match to the original black 68k / PPC Macs.

Reactions: Mac84

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
Hey @wottle! You should get your hands on this MacUser July 1997 issue about watching movies on your Macintosh TV! Leaving it in the kitchen is another idea so you can watch movies on DVD while eating. :)

1660784155950.png

• Love
Reactions: wottle

wottle

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
Fort Mill, SC
Hey @wottle! You should get your hands on this MacUser July 1997 issue about watching movies on your Macintosh TV! Leaving it in the kitchen is another idea so you can watch movies on DVD while eating. :)

Did they photoshop a generic DVD drive onto a 5200/5400 Directors Edition? I don't believe those ever came with a DVD (CD-ROM only).

The funny part is I feel like that matches the beige CD cartridge door cover of the MacTV, so it kind of makes me wish I had kept the CD tray front platinum. Worst case I can swap out the CD-ROM from another machine.

I have an HDMI to COAX box, so I can stream all the Star Trek TNG (I watched that almost every night on the kitchen TV after getting home from work at Target).

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
Did they photoshop a generic DVD drive onto a 5200/5400 Directors Edition? I don't believe those ever came with a DVD (CD-ROM only).

If those did not have DVD drives, then probably. :) DVDs on Macs started around 1998, I think.

The funny part is I feel like that matches the beige CD cartridge door cover of the MacTV, so it kind of makes me wish I had kept the CD tray front platinum. Worst case I can swap out the CD-ROM from another machine.

Ha. 😀

I have an HDMI to COAX box, so I can stream all the Star Trek TNG (I watched that almost every night on the kitchen TV after getting home from work at Target).

Is the kitchen TV your black Mac? :sneaky:

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
Sadly, I never had the MacTV as a child, but it would have been fantastic for that.

Neither did I. I never had a Mac as a kid, either. Just an Apple //e that I souped up and ended up selling the whole set for $2k during my first time in college after high school. However, I was exposed to some Macs like the Plus, SE/30, and SE. In high school, I was assigned a PowerBook 145B. I worked at an authorized Apple dealership during my senior year in high school in their authorized Apple service center.

redstar6686

New Tinkerer
Jul 11, 2023
Guys, this is amazing! If you want to hook up wi-fi, your best bet is to go with a USB card. The motherboards for the 5300/5400/5500 series have a PCI adaptor, which you could use to install a USB PCI card (with the help of a PCI riser card due to the lack of space).

I am working on a 5260/100 that I got a month ago, and so far I've replaced the motherboard with one that came from a 5500/225. I also installed the A/V S-video card, as well as an ethernet adaptor. I am now working on getting the right USB card that will work with 9.1 (I have heard the motherboards are tricky when it comes to USB PCI cards, and so far it's recognized the first card I got, but will not read the storage device).

The maximum resolution of this box is 640x480, and I am really thinking about replacing the CRT with something that will at least do 800x600. If any of you have any experience replacing a CRT, please let me know.

About the DVD... supposedly the 603e motherboards are DVD-capable. I have not tried a DVD-ROM in this one yet, but my MiniTower G3 did need a DVD card installed in order to have DVD playback. Yes, the motherboards are very different.

Last edited: