MacOS 9.2 running on a Nintendo Wii with native cpu

AlexCL

Tinkerer
Nov 1, 2021
To take up the challenge I attempted to get Mac on Linux working on my RGH (Jailbroken) XBox 360...I couldn't get the kernel drivers to compile due to the patched kernel for the XBox 360. I then tried SheepShaver as it can use the native CPU...but it wouldn't compile on the old distro that runs on the 360....

So to not be defeated I compiled Mini vMac on the XBox and ran System 7.5 and a few games after a long day of tinkering...at least a partial win

Reactions: skate323k137

AlexCL

Tinkerer
Nov 1, 2021
That surprises me, since SheepShaver's Linux port isn't at all new. What didn't the compiler like?
I'm not even a C++ newb...I tried a source from 2008 and it didn't work along with the newest source...I couldn't update the distro due to lack of space...I figured out how to point to the current repositories so I could upgrade and download individual packages and their dependencies.

Mini vMac was OK...but kinda slow...

A real port of Mini vMac or Sheepshaver to XBox 360 (not the linux but the actual onboard OS) might be faster...but porting the code is beyond my current skill level.

ClassicHasClass

Tinkerer
Aug 30, 2022
www.floodgap.com
I'm wondering if the problem is that the chip is not detected as PowerPC big-endian, and thus it tries to set up the JIT, which actually won't work because current compilers are too *new*. What did the configure sequence detect the CPU as?