MacTilt

KennyPowers

Active Tinkerer
Jun 27, 2022
Well, I contacted Ergotron...we'll see where that goes. I did set my Classic on the stand, and the foot pattern is the same:

PXL_20230317_134325581.jpg

So, the "conversion" kit is likely just a different mounting plate or riser that allows the Classic's bottom air vent to breath, along with maybe a different retention mechanism since the Classic's side vents are different. I did find this picture on the "history" section of Ergotron's site that shows a different mounting plate that appears to not obstruct a Classic's bottom vent:

mactilt.png

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
In 1985, Ergrotron advertised the MacTilt with a time-lapsed photograph demonstrating the flexibility the compact Macs gain with the MacTilt. :)

1679071971394.png

Paralel

Tinkerer
Dec 14, 2022
I tried, but no luck. Customer service would not connect me to their engineers. Their response was terse like "We use to carry these mounts and it was very popular at the time, but unfortunately we no longer carry these as these are not common monitors. Sorry I couldn't be more of assistance on this one. Is there anything else I can assist with in the meantime?"

That is really cool. I guess sometimes people who now work for those companies' customer care nowdays just dont really care and not very helpful.

I find that very disappointing. I'll have to see if any of the e-mail addresses I have for people at the company still work and let them know that their customer service is anything but.

KennyPowers

Active Tinkerer
Jun 27, 2022
I find that very disappointing. I'll have to see if any of the e-mail addresses I have for people at the company still work and let them know that their customer service is anything but.
I just contacted them through their main customer support email...got a ticket number automatically assigned, etc. If you have any more "direct" contact info, please let me know!

Trash80toG4

Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
LOL! I always thought of stuff like that as MASSIVE overkill/ludicrous over-engineering to achieve what was a simple solution to a simple problem.

When my SE was wrecking my neck in the day it was brand new, I just bent a piece of 1/4" Plexi into a flopped over, roughly "Z" profile which angled the front up to an ergonomically correct angle. Lift was about 1.5" at the front, a solid angled base then had a low lip upturn at the back which let gravity do its thing in terms of stabilization. ;)

KennyPowers

Active Tinkerer
Jun 27, 2022
Thank you very much for contacting Ergotron. Unfortunately, we no longer have parts for the MacTilt and unable to provide any support for this product.

Lifetime warranty is subject to parts and equivalent products availability. Unfortunately, we exhausted both options for this product.
Oh well :(

Trash80toG4

Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
I have been considering 3D printing a solution similar to Mac Tilt for my SE and SE/30. Looks like it shouldn't be difficult to do that. Kensington did have another one that is a simple shelf to put keyboard under.

Perhaps we can create 3D printed versions of the shelf and the tilt for compact Macs? :)

DSCF2827.jpg

Love it, though I'd want to see provision for a metal frame insert incorporated. Front bezel looks perfect for SD slot and its HDD activity LED.

wottle

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
Fort Mill, SC
Only kinda related to the MacTilt, but I found this with it in the basement too:

View attachment 11328

It's a monitor stand for the IIgs and IIc with space for two 3.5" drives underneath when used with a IIgs. Apparently there were removable angled risers for it to allow putting a IIc under it too...not sure how you'd access the drive on a IIc while it was under this thing though. I pulled out my other IIgs to mock it up:

View attachment 11327
I picked up one of the Apple Iic stand and never could figure out what it was used for, as I don't think the Iic fit under it well, or maybe I couldn't figure out the inaccessibility of the disk issue.

Here's the angled risers:
IMG_6166.jpeg