Marchintosh 2022 - Prep & Ideas thread

eric

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 2, 2021
MN
scsi.blue
#MARCHintosh2022 kick off is right around the corner! Lets use this thread to brainstorm some ideas of things you might do, or maybe would like to see others do in this years Marchintosh.

I'll get the ball rolling - I have some ideas (i wont be able to do them all, maybe one or two, so feel free to take or riff on these!)

* HFS Image utility to allow easy creation of images for Ra/BlueSCSI devices, switch out drivers, copy files, etc. - I do already have some work started on this, but this may be the push I need to make some progress.
* HyperCard programming - I've spent some time reading and I have an outline of a very simple game to build - Maybe it's time to build it!
* BlueSCSI - end to end buy all your parts, pcb's, assembly, usage video and docs
* BlueSCSI - Documentation updates (just an excuse for me to do some of em!)
* Add some more Cap resources that I have in spreadsheets to TD

What are your ideas? Do you have an idea someone else might be able to pick up on?

Remember it doesnt have to a video - it can be any project - even a Post on TinkerDifferent - just remember to tag it https://tinkerdifferent.com/tags/marchintosh2022/

Mu0n

Active Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2021
Quebec
www.youtube.com
I just recently was able to install my RGB2HDMI (which uses a Pi Zero) that I had fabricated, soldered by yours truly and wired up all the way to 4 soldered wires on the Macintosh Classic analog board...

This week, I got a cheapo USB hdmi capture device (that can reach 1920x1080p @ 30 Hz) which is more than sufficient for capturing gameplay, but not playing off of, so I got...

a powered HDMI 1in2out splitter so that the feed also goes in real time on a 2nd monitor.

I thus have a direct video + audio feed STRAIGHT from the BARE METAL of a Mac Classic, which I could be using for streaming.

Beginnings of retro mac channel? We'll see.

1Bit Fever Dreams https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9YYXWX1SxBhh1YB-feIPPw

Twitch:

Last edited:
Reactions: KingDingus and eric

mmu_man

Tinkerer
Jan 30, 2022
I definitely need to complete a first batch of my AAUI2AUI adapter, maybe film it and time-compress it, so I can post a 2nd video on my yt channel 😅

lepidotós

New Tinkerer
Jan 16, 2022
What I really want to do: make a video where I use a Power Mac G4 (specifically, my 450 DP named Aleister Crowley) as a genuine workstation for modern day work. Not just a home computer, web server (which it will become after filming) or internet portal, or the most popular use, a games machine. Stuff like writing reports, composing and recording music, 3D modelling, doing taxes, spreadsheets, image editing, voice acting, programming...
Another one where I put a 450MHz P!!! in my Dell PII and compare it to my 450MHz Sawtooth and see which one aged better. Hint: the Sawtooth. The PII doesn't even have AGP, it's PCI only.
What I will actually be doing: looking for a house.​

Last edited:
Reactions: KingDingus

Mu0n

Active Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2021
Quebec
www.youtube.com
First planned contribution to #Marchintosh

-Install the RGB2HDMI to a Mac Plus
-Capture footage for Archon from it, and also from mini-vMac to show how the emulation version falls short soundwise
-Set up a streaming date for a "Let's play Archon" session (probably on youtube live)
-Set up a second date with choices of games I could stream, but I have to test the delays (my modern PC is from 2011-2014 and my upload connection to the internet is not the fastest, plans in Canada are WAY below the average in the US) and how reactive watchers can write in the chat

KingDingus

Tinkerer
Jan 16, 2022
Florida
www.hacksmtg.com
Picked up a G5 from Facebook Marketplace for a decent deal. Never owned one before and I’m relatively new to the hobby.

Work completed:
Thorough cleaning
Installed Airport Express
Clean and repaste CPU with Arctic MX-4
Clean install of Leopard and downloaded patches to 10.5.8
Install Warcraft 3

Marchintosh remaining work:
Install two new SSD (complete 3/9)
Max out RAM
Replace PRAM battery (complete 3/3)
New power supply cable (complete 3/5)
Bluetooth
Install Leopard Sorbet (complete 3/10)
6CE008D6-CA6A-4491-8011-B52DB6262657.jpeg

Update (3/10):
Installed 250GB SSD from OWC. Learned the hard way that this machine will not boot from a SATA 3 device, despite the protocol being reverse compatible.
Update (4/2):
Not much work done to the machine last two weeks. Sorbet has proven to be a stable OS and the computer gets used several hours a day for gaming. Success!

Last edited:
Reactions: lepidotós

Eric's Edge

Tinkerer
Oct 31, 2021
I'm focused on HyperCard programming. Wrote a Wordle clone in HyperCard and posted a rather long video explaining how it works. Realized once that was done what I really want and need to do is a series on HyperCard Authoring and Programming. Started the outline today - it's going to be a long series.

Oct 28, 2021
My #MARCHintosh2022 submission is a YouTube video on my channel Apples Anonymous, where I display the start of my Mac collection, namely Macintosh II's, IIx's, and a IIfx.

There are 2 parts to the video:
Part 1 consists of a preliminary inspection of the 7x Macintosh II's that I found in my collection

Part 2 consists of a jumpstart/kickstart of each one (upload coming soon.)

The video was uploaded today 32nd of March, 2022 - yes, there is such date as I am from Australia...

Any comments on the video appreciated.

Reactions: KingDingus