Maxintosh II What is this resistor for?

reallyrandy

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
New Jersey
I have a Mac II with an upgraded PMMU and 20MBs of RAM. I pulled it out of my display cabinet to replace the soldered on batteries with a battery holder and noticed a resistor soldered in the J2 position. Does anyone know what that's for? Here's some pics:
MacIIresistor.jpg.JPEG
MacIIPMMU.JPEG
`MacIIRAM.JPEG

David Cook

New Tinkerer
Jul 20, 2023
That is R8 100K which pulls RXD+ high (to 5V) on the modem port. This would provide a default signal to prevent electrical noise from being interpreted as incoming data. The modem port is serviced by an interrupt (unlike the printer port in early Macs), and thus false incoming data could degrade the performance of the Mac.

This bodge resistor does not exist on later revisions of the motherboard.

reallyrandy

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
New Jersey
Is that a nubus pal board? If so...
A PAL board? I dunno. You mean like PAL or NTSC?
I do know it's a rev A board that has the PMMU upgrade. I bought from a fellow 68ker in 2018. It's been in a display cabinet since then. I just started restoring all my vintage Macs (recapping, BlueSCSIs, retrobriting, floppy servicing, etc.) and discovered these mods on this Mac II. Any info you can glean from the pics is great. (I already replaced the soldered batteries with an Apple battery holder.)
IMG_0457.JPEG

reallyrandy

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
New Jersey
That is R8 100K which pulls RXD+ high (to 5V) on the modem port. This would provide a default signal to prevent electrical noise from being interpreted as incoming data. The modem port is serviced by an interrupt (unlike the printer port in early Macs), and thus false incoming data could degrade the performance of the Mac.

This bodge resistor does not exist on later revisions of the motherboard.
Thanks David, I guess since I don't plan on using the modem I can just leave as is.

Kai Robinson

TinkerDifferent Board President 2023
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Worthing, UK
As in it uses PAL's for the Nubus logic rather than dedicated ASICs - meaning, it can be potentially reverse engineered ;)