May 2024 finds

phunguss

Tinkerer
Dec 24, 2023
Stillwater, MN
Passed on this Free Geek Bondi-Blue iMac set for $120.
IMG_2948-bondi.jpg

Heading down to Cedar Rapids, Iowa on Friday 5/3 to pickup a B&W G3 tower so I have a mother for my baby. That will complete my set of 'one of each kind' of rounded Powermac towers.

IMG_2946-opener.jpg

I had to 3D print an opening tool for the tiny pull ring.

• Haha
Reactions: Volvo242GT and eric

Volvo242GT

Tinkerer
Feb 7, 2022
Currently Duvall, WA
If the firmware on that iMac hasn't been updated, you could add a floppy drive to it. Logic board does have the solder pads for the 20-pin connector. If I remember correctly, it's the only post-Steve Jobs return desktop computer that can use a non-USB floppy drive.

• Wow
Reactions: phunguss

phunguss

Tinkerer
Dec 24, 2023
Stillwater, MN
Mother and child meet for the first time!
IMG_3025-frontal.jpg

I drove down to Iowa to pickup this $99 Powermac G3. Quick inspection shows it has a SCSI card, SCSI drive and IDE drive. More details will come when I have time to explore it. For now, it will nestle the little one (NUC hackintosh).
IMG_3023-angled.jpg

The semi-transparent PTEG
IMG_3014-NUC.jpg

phunguss

Tinkerer
Dec 24, 2023
Stillwater, MN
Did a little photo shoot with the the happy couple. That mini screen is an ipad2 screen with VGA/HDMI driver board; I am still working on the CNC shell, it is held together with tape and propped up with a water bottle (look at the bottom).
IMG_3086-dangerzone.jpg

So sexy
IMG_3090-angleclosed.jpg

Have a look at my guts
IMG_3091-angleopen.jpg

Piggy back ride
IMG_3094-piggyback.jpg

Side by side
IMG_3083-sidebyside.jpg

bottoms up
IMG_3105-bottoms.jpg

phunguss

Tinkerer
Dec 24, 2023
Stillwater, MN
The last find for May 2024: Dual Intel 2.0GHz (quad core) MacPro1,1 from Free Geek for $10. I have another MacPro2,1 that is flaky as well, so maybe together I can piece one good one, and one donor case for a Hackintosh motherboard.

MacPro-Intel.jpg

MacPro-Intelmodel.jpg

Still organizing and moving things around, but cleaning up my collection to be a little more presentable. Nowhere near what @mac27 has for display.

Shelves.jpg

Used my old iPhone 7 in pano mode, because I still have too much junk in the way to get back and take a wide shot.

mac27

New Tinkerer
Apr 30, 2024
Virginia, USA
www.mac27.net
Yeah, that's a nice system but is ~2-3x overpriced. Also looks like it's missing a lot of the components such as the angled VGA adapter, software CDs, and modem cable. Not to mention all of the documentation aside from the "about" booklet. If it had all those things it might be worth close to half of what they're asking. Cube itself looks like it's in great shape though.

Reactions: phunguss