Might’ve hit the jackpot what do you all think I should do with these?

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
As I reviewed the circumstances surrounding the bitsavers project, I realized I am uncomfortable that it is a one-person show, and that person does not scan everything. So, we do not know if that person would scan your documents, @jajan547.

I wish there were a site with AI that would take care of OCR, deskewing, etc., after scanning in and then spit out a PDF file that is searchable and decent.

Last edited:

jajan547

Active Tinkerer
Mar 25, 2022
North Carolina, USA
I sent the stapled one in here but I can’t use the PDF app right hence the unfinished look so if someone can polish that these others should turn out okay.
As I reviewed the circumstances surrounding the bitsavers project, I realized something I am uncomfortable with. It's a one-person show, and that person does not scan everything. So, we do not know if that person would scan your documents, @jajan547.

I wish there were a site with AI that would take care of OCR, deskewing, etc., after scanning in and then spit out a polished PDF file that is searchable and decent.

Nov 4, 2021
Tucson, AZ
I wish there were a site with AI that would take care of OCR, deskewing, etc., after scanning in and then spit out a PDF file that is searchable and decent.
acrobat.adobe.com. Sure, you have to pay the Great Satan Adobe, but it exists. The Acrobat desktop app does it too, probably with easier fine tuning. Those new document scanners that have popped up on a few channels look to be in the same ballpark of maturity.

It might also be handy for those with interesting documents to archive to check their local libraries to see if they have scanning kiosks that can handle books without cutting the spine.

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
Haha! True @luminescentsimian. I used to have the full suite of Adobe CS5 on my modern Mac. Loved it! As you said, Adobe has become evil and wants monthly subscriptions like M$ for Office $365/year. I am unsure if I can look up to the co-founder of Adobe, John Warnock, who graduated from the University of Utah. Nevertheless, Adobe is still vital today as it was back then.

John-Warnock-300x394.png
warnock_8540-scaled.jpg

I like the other University of Utah 1969 Computer Science graduate, Nolan Bushnell, better as he founded Atari, where Steve Jobs worked in the early 1970s.

I met Nolan Bushnell in 2013, I believe. It was neat hearing him speak at the University of Utah and meeting him.

487b0ca0c1fe0568de489fd960bf6905--atari-videogames.jpg
DSC0726.jpg

Last edited:

jajan547

Active Tinkerer
Mar 25, 2022
North Carolina, USA
Ok so super cool the Volume 1 Manual has information on all Apple ii (including iiGS) and Apple III, tons of photos and such but two major things stood out. Apple was actually asking you to use drills, vice grips, and soldering irons to repair some of these machines it's in the actual service notes here and I find it hilarious. The other very cool and probably rarest parts of these documents are just how complex and detailed they are, the Apple III is also very heavily discussed and includes loads of new information and all kinds of variations. Last but not least the rarest of all actual documentation on the ii/e to iiGS upgrade, everything from parts to order, how to disassemble and upgrade, and even photos, super, super cool and I'm happy to share all of this with you guys. I'm going to be uploading at least this one tonight so hang tight everyone.

Reactions: retr01

jajan547

Active Tinkerer
Mar 25, 2022
North Carolina, USA
Currently uploading Volume one to archive.org and will add to the download page here do people don't have to go looking for it. Super detailed and massive book so enjoy everyone. It's so big it's a 1.1GB file and it's a 600DPI resolution.

Last edited: