Molar Mac (Power Macintosh G3) Upgrades!

SadMac

New Tinkerer
Aug 24, 2022
Hey everyone, I am proud to say that I finally got my Molar Mac restored and working! I currently am going to outfit it with three 256mb low profile modules but, that’s the only upgrade I will have done minus a full recap of all three circuit boards inside.

My question to all of you is what other upgrades can I do?

I have three PCI slots open and ready for use. I already have the Wings Personality Card to allow audio and video input/output. Would love to upgrade the old 4GB IDE HD, install an internal Zip drive, look for upgrades for the floppy and CD drive (if there are any), and of course fill the PCI slots with some useful cards! I would appreciate everyone’s help! Please, if you have recommendations, attach a url so I can buy it!

Thank you!

Attachments

• 010B0CD4-1960-4E5F-B72A-2724CD4C5FAE.jpeg
    010B0CD4-1960-4E5F-B72A-2724CD4C5FAE.jpeg
    183.7 KB · Views: 62
  • 3E253CA5-A3DB-46B0-883E-0951F0234EDE.jpeg
    3E253CA5-A3DB-46B0-883E-0951F0234EDE.jpeg
    173.9 KB · Views: 59

Nixontheknight

Tinkerer
Nov 3, 2021
Hey everyone, I am proud to say that I finally got my Molar Mac restored and working! I currently am going to outfit it with three 256mb low profile modules but, that’s the only upgrade I will have done minus a full recap of all three circuit boards inside.

My question to all of you is what other upgrades can I do?

I have three PCI slots open and ready for use. I already have the Wings Personality Card to allow audio and video input/output. Would love to upgrade the old 4GB IDE HD, install an internal Zip drive, look for upgrades for the floppy and CD drive (if there are any), and of course fill the PCI slots with some useful cards! I would appreciate everyone’s help! Please, if you have recommendations, attach a url so I can buy it!

Thank you!
you can also replace the G3 processor with a G4, though it is a very involved process. Dosdude1 actually made a video a few years ago about doing the same to a Powerbook G3

Nixontheknight

Tinkerer
Nov 3, 2021
Yeah, that's what I thought. I believe 3rd party upgrade makers released G4 daughtercards for them. Not sure about the molar specifically, but other PM G3s and G4s.
though, if you have the expertise to replace the G3 with a G4, it would make your molar G3 that much more unique

SadMac

New Tinkerer
Aug 24, 2022
Plenty of choices. CD drive can be replaced with a DVD drive, SATA card, FireWire/USB card. Lots of stuff to do! You can never have enough upgrades.
do you have recommendations for any dvd drives? i just got the tango 2.0 card installed. i plan on getting a 1GHz ZIF upgrade for it. IDE replacements?

3lectr1c

Active Tinkerer
May 15, 2022
the United States
www.macdat.net
Any old IDE DVD drive should work, or a SATA drive if you install a SATA card. As for installing a SATA card, you need one with a certain chipset that's been flashed to work on these old Macs. Not sure exactly what because I haven't done it myself, but I know that's necessary.

SadMac

New Tinkerer
Aug 24, 2022
Any old IDE DVD drive should work, or a SATA drive if you install a SATA card. As for installing a SATA card, you need one with a certain chipset that's been flashed to work on these old Macs. Not sure exactly what because I haven't done it myself, but I know that's necessary.
What about an IDE to SATA adapter and I get an SSD?

3lectr1c

Active Tinkerer
May 15, 2022
the United States
www.macdat.net
It should theoretically work, although it will still be limited to the speed of the IDE bus. I must warn that the Power Mac G3s are known for having really picky IDE controllers that don't cooperate well with adapters, so it may not work.

SadMac

New Tinkerer
Aug 24, 2022
It should theoretically work, although it will still be limited to the speed of the IDE bus. I must warn that the Power Mac G3s are known for having really picky IDE controllers that don't cooperate well with adapters, so it may not work.
yeah the first adapter I got did not work at all. I'm just running off the old 4GB one right now but I plan on buffing everything out so I thought I would replace it too. I am lost at what is compatible with these machines.