My first Mystic is being mystical about working.

badferday

Tinkerer
Jan 26, 2024
Two things to solve:

1) Moved over the drive and the mobo from my 575. Key getting "system" bus errors, even when I restart without extensions. Looked at PowerCC and I guess some versions of System 7 need enablers, but the 575 HD I moved over with the board has System 9. What should I do?

2) Examining the motherboard it looks super clean on the front, but I've attached a photo for your more informed opinons. The rear, however, does have this milky crusty looking stuff in a few spots - I have circled the two most prevalent. Is this concerning?

IMG_9102.jpeg

IMG_9103.jpeg

Lmk your thoughts!

- K

eric

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 2, 2021
MN
scsi.blue
The powercc page is correct, you'll need to make a System 7.1 install + add that enabler. Or to use 7.5 you'll need to do the logic board mod for the sense line. Since you can do 99.9% of everything in 7.1 and it's lighter on resources I use that + the enabler on my Mystic. If you have a BlueSCSI you could use that to install the System 7.1 in an emulator and copy the files over - heck you can even do it on https://infinitemac.org/ and export the drive.

You can use some 90%+ IPA to clean that white gunk off with a tooth brush.

I'd remove that battery, no reason to keep a time bomb in there.

And it doesn't look recapped, that will likely need to happen at some point (to the analog board too)

badferday

Tinkerer
Jan 26, 2024
Yeah, now that I've verified functionality (it booted normally in the LC 575 incarnation and got to the disk graphic right before the bus error) I have a list:

Full recap (including ultrasonic cleaning of both boards) and testing is first.

I was looking at the battery situation, and I thought those ones were OK. What are the disadvantages of not having a battery?

Am I to understand I am version capped at System 7.1/7.5 in a Mystic? What do I lose by not being able to keep it at System 9?

Thanks for the informative reply. This is my first mystic, so yeah... guidance is much appreciated!

badferday

Tinkerer
Jan 26, 2024
But not 9? I don't understand why the same mobo and same hard drive run 9 just fine in the 575 box, but not in the CC box. Very headscratchy, indeed.

KnobsNSwitches

Tinkerer
Nov 2, 2021
Mac OS 9 requires a powerpc processor. Mac OS 8.1 is the last to run on a 68k-based hardware. The 575 never ran 9 unless you had a PowerPC upgrade card.

Reactions: eric

eric

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 2, 2021
MN
scsi.blue
Even if you could run 9 - it'd be slow as heck. I'd only have 8.1 on there as a novelty.

Any battery in a computer will leak - there's no reason to keep one in a vintage computer for any reason. You'll forget it's in there and it will leak at some point in it's life.

badferday

Tinkerer
Jan 26, 2024
Mac OS 9 requires a powerpc processor. Mac OS 8.1 is the last to run on a 68k-based hardware. The 575 never ran 9 unless you had a PowerPC upgrade card.
Sounds like I got some double checking to do... either for OS version or for an expansion card. Hahaha.

badferday

Tinkerer
Jan 26, 2024
Do any of y'all know the specs on the two screws that hold the Color Classic IO panel in place? None of the screws on my donor computer seem to fit those threads.

badferday

Tinkerer
Jan 26, 2024
A new wrinkle! I have managed to get a Colour Classic II - with the original packaging and everything!!!

So this is, of course, an LC 275 inside. Does that mean I if I use that computer for my Mystic adventure, that I won't have to go through all that hassle discussed above? Like... now it's an LC to LC swap. Know what I mean?

Kai Robinson

TinkerDifferent Board President 2023
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Worthing, UK
Moving from the Lab's software section to compact macs, as this is nothing to do with software. Please can you be mindful of the categories your threads are being posted in.