My G4 baby, PPC G4 MDD

Is the G4 MDD the sexiest G4?

• Total voters
Oct 18, 2021
Ohio, USA
thehouseofmoth.com
I could no longer see the (arguably) best place on this forum empty. The PowerMac G4 is so awesome, it needs *something* in it's category. So I thought I'd share a photo of my baby. A continuous money drain but I love it all the same.
IMG_7137.jpeg
This photo is about a year old and the setup has changed since then but I am currently not able to take another pretty picture so this one will have to do.

This here started off as a 2002 FW800 model with a single CPU in it and the usual base specs for RAM, HDD, GPU etc.
It has since been upgraded to a 2003 board in the 2002 case (better thermal management design). Losing the on-board FW800 was not an issue as I have a PCI FW800 card installed.

It now has:
  • Dual 2.0 GHz Sonnet Duet CPU
  • 64-bit bootable FW800 PCI card
  • Sonnet Tempo SATA PCI card
    • 1TB Crucial SSD with OS 9, OS X and Storage partitions
    • 1TB HDD for no good reason other than to have it in there
  • Startech USB 2.0 PCI card
  • 360W PSU to replace the 400W original
  • ATI Radeon 9650 with 256MB VRAM
A ZIP drive bracket, ZIP drive and ZIP face plate are in a box but I have yet to install them. I've also replaced the optical drive with a GeeTree Sweet Multiport as I use an external FW blu-ray drive anyway. The multiport is a cool gadget but on an MDD it's really not all that useful or convenient so this will likely be removed and replaced with another gadget at some point.
An additional SilenX fan sits on the heavy aluminum heatsink which results in better heat dissipation for the CPU's than the copper heatsink provides. I have yet to find a replacement for the stock Delta main fan or the PSU fans. I know there are plenty of options out there but they are all much lower rated in CFM than the originals. And as this puppy runs hot, I am not risking a reduction in air flow just yet.
Replacement fans will be coming in the future but at the moment I'm not in a hurry. The hum and occasional wind tunnel noise is part of the appeal/nostalgia :)

On top of the Mac sits a Contour Design G-Rack. Originally intended to hold CD's/DVD's but it's also perfect to hold a big external optical drive level. Underneath the Mac sits a Contour Design G-Riser, sometimes. It's cool to have a G4 stand on legs but I really don't use the space it creates under the Mac and I like the Mac to have the same height as the displays. So I remove those and put them back whenever I feel like it.

OS wise I switch it between OS 9.2.2 and 10.4.11. I don't need OS 9 for much and the fan control in OS 9 is pretty much non-existent so the fan is always on full tilt. In OS X the fan ramps down as soon as the login screen loads and only ramps up as needed, so OS X does give a slightly better experience.

The displays are switched up as needed (this Mac is not set up on a desk year-round) but I mostly use the 22" 2000 Cinema Display and 17" 2002 Studio Display together (with DVI to ADC adapters). The LCD's are perfect, backlight is good and they are just a delight to use. Speakers are the Apple Pro Speakers and while they sound fantastic, I really wish to add an iSub to the setup at some point.

That about wraps it up. Not even close to done tinkering with this hardware but no need or desire for tweaks or improvements either for the foreseeable future. Out of all G4's, this is hands down my favorite model!

Last edited:

Certificate of Excellence

Active Tinkerer
Nov 1, 2021
United Sates
Neat MDD setup. Man you have some seriously top shelf componentry in that beast :)

97A38126-CE99-4EEA-B56C-48A96A1E2584.jpeg

This is my favorite PowerPC daily (subsequently my first PPC box, found out on the curb, in the rain with the trash) - quicksilver 733mhz that I’ve upgraded to dual 1ghz cpu (w/L3), 1.5gb pc133 ram, running Leopard. Other bits include:

USB2.0 -> BT on internal port
Radeon 9000 (pulled from dead MDD)
Flashed Sil3512 Sata controller -> large drive support
Two 40gb spinners -> software Raid 0
Audiobox external interface -> stereo studio monitors
Dynex wireless G - shows up as native airport
isight camera -> FW400 i/o

I might stick dual 128 SSDs in raid 0 back in at some point but needed them for other boxes.& the raid0 spinners do pretty well all things considered. I also thought a hardware raid pci sas card could be really cool if I can find an affordable mac card. They are prohibitively pricey. I have a few windows cards but they dont play nice in OSX. I would lke to upgrade the 2nd drive bay to a zippity zip but would need the special bezel. I have a bunch of external zips & one on my B&W as well as Grahite so no rush but man that looks so badass on a QS. FYI the other monitor is to a DC2.0ghz PMg5 sitting behind it although I do have a PCI Radeon 7000 flashed to work in a Mac which I could use to run dual monitors in the QS or use an a1006 which I have quite a few of but the 2nd GPU would be cooler I think plus I’d have a cool red pcb inside along with blue and green. Right now they both have homes so a project for another day.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2021
Ohio, USA
thehouseofmoth.com
One would think adding SSD's to these G4's is a waste of cash but it makes a huge difference. Not the IDE mSATA ones but actual SATA SSD's with a PCI SATA card. Though even an IDE to mSATA one would be an improvement I reckon.

Certificate of Excellence

Active Tinkerer
Nov 1, 2021
United Sates
They are & work so well in PowerBooks. I have an Acard pci sata card that I use for os9 (currently not in a box) & a couple flashed sil3512 pci cards for OSX in my g4 powermacs. I agree they do make a difference vs slapping on a pata/Sata adapter & calling it a day but hey, no shame in that game. I’ve used cheap adapters more than once to get sata drives into old Macs. The SSD read write speeds alone are worth it even w/o trim support or a proper sata card. Sometimes quick n dirty is how it has to be.

Last edited: