My Performa boots to gray screen

bakkus

Staff member
Mar 18, 2022
Hello and welcome!
I'm afraid we're going to need a bit more information in order to help you diagnose this.
Which Performa model is this? Does the hard drive spin up? Does the startup chime sound? Other sounds?

Reactions: dgveedubbus89

dgveedubbus89

New Tinkerer
Jun 11, 2024
Homestead, FL
Hello,

Some questions for you. But first, the Performa 200 is the same as the Classic II so you might also find more info searching for that model.

Have you opened the case to see the condition of the main logic board? This era of Mac is well knows for leaking caps and even worse, the possibility of being battery bombed, meaning the PRAM battery may have started to leak on the logic board causing components to fail end even worse, traces to rust away.

Do you have any high quality photos you can share of the logic board, to see if multiple eyes can spot any possible issues?

Lastly, and I personally don't care but you might find more direct help if you can somehow move this into the Compact Mac section of the forum as your Performa 200 falls under that category.

Keep us posted and hopefully we can find your issue and bring the Mac back to its original glory.

pwikel

New Tinkerer
Jul 17, 2024
The logic board looks good. No photos yet. I took off the cover but didnt take anything out

dgveedubbus89

New Tinkerer
Jun 11, 2024
Homestead, FL
I think it would be a good start to remove the battery no matter what and at the same time get us some photos. It is a ticking time bomb and will destroy the computer.

As redundant as it may sound, step one on all of these old Macs is to replace the capacitors. Console5 is a great place to buy them all in one shot. If the problem persists after the recap, then possible culprits could be anything from damaged traces as most likely to damaged SMD components but again, w/o a good photo of the logic board it is hard to tell you exactly what could be wrong.

The more information you provide, the better chance we might have of getting that beauty back up and running.

pwikel

New Tinkerer
Jul 17, 2024
Console 5 has this
Screen Shot 2024-07-17 at 9.45.28 AM.png