Need help identifying component in Duo Dock PSU

Newton_Selftest

New Tinkerer
Jul 29, 2022
Hello! I'm new to this forum, so hopefully this is the right place to go :)

I recently picked up a Duo Dock for my Powerbook Duo 250. Its got a Magnetek Power Supply (Model 3359-09-001) in it that has failed, and I was hoping I could get some insight.

When opening up the power supply to identify and replace the caps, I noticed a diode on the board had once gotten extremely hot, to the point of its solder joints melting and deforming. Assuming it had catastrophically failed, I clipped it out to take a look at the part number. Very frustratingly, however, as I removed it, all the identifying markings on it rubbed away into my fingers! So I've come here to ask if any of you folks could help me figure out what the part is so I can find a correct replacement. Here it is:
IMG_20220728_155739__01.jpg

It's diode number D6. I believe that it got so hot, the printed P/N unbonded with the surface of the diode. The only characters I could make out before they disappeared completely appeared to read "V28", which yields no results online. It was located just under the PSU's fan, right here:
IMG_20220728_155655__01.jpg

You can see how hot it got just from looking at the board. It's burned on the bottom, too. And since the diode is obviously cooked, I wouldn't count on finding a replacement by testing the old one.

Because of how unique this power supply is (as far as I can tell, it was only used in the Duo Dock) and its strange inconvenient assembly (closed with rivets instead of screws, meaning I had to drill it open) I can hardly find any information on this power supply at all, let alone a datasheet.

So now I'm hoping one of you out there has worked on one of these before and knows what this part could be, or is willing to take a look at their own unit and find out what diode D6 could be.

Any help is appreciated!! Thank you.

Trash80toG4

Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
ISTR there used to be howtos on how to fix the DuoDock PSU tick-of-death? Fixed mine that way ages and ages ago. Thinking it might have been a diode that failed? Falling asleep ATM, but maybe you can search something up about DuoDock PSU Repairs/Failures etc. out on the web?

Newton_Selftest

New Tinkerer
Jul 29, 2022
Firstly, thank you!

I saw that thread before though. Doesn't seem to mention that specific diode, although it does mention a similar one (maybe they're the same? Skeptical though)

The tick of death seems to be related to caps, which I already planned to replace anyway. From what I can tell the diode blowing out on mine is not a common documented problem :/ even if it's a problem caused by caps, I still need to replace this diode since it's definitely been destroyed one way or another.